2012 wr450f is revealed! With fi!

I think its great that Yamaha finally upgraded the WR while the other 3 received BNG or were dropped completely. I also like the fact that they kept the reliable 5 valve design and added FI. They also adressed one of the biggest drawbacks compared to Honda, and gave it the SSS forks:banana:. WooHoo!!! I know Honda will be back with the 450X and it will be interesting to see how the two compare. Competition is good for everyone.

Six months ago I was seriously considering bying a new/leftover WR but grew tired of dealers still wanting almost full retail for them. I ended up finding a nice used 07 and figured it would save me some money and fill the gap until the next generation is released. Now I will probably wait a year or two and then look into the FI model. I'm a desert rider and I need some time for the aftermarket to release bigger tanks, stabilizer mounts etc, etc. In the mean time, I will enjoy my new to me 07 and save some $$$$ for what looks to be a killer new bike!! Good job Yamaha, just don't forget that its OK to make updates unlike the 07-11's :):thumbsup:;)

:):thumbsup:

NOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!!! Oh well. We all knew it would happen sometime. I guess this is better than them dropping it from the lineup. At least I should be able to pick up some slightly used CARBURETED WR's more cheaply now!!! Yeah, that makes me feel better!!! Maniac

maniac, just look in the classifieds here you can buy my 08 cheap.

Huge news! At the very least from a sales perspective; should help dealers immensely even if a percentage of riders are anti-FI.

Very Happy to see this new WRFi 450 ! 250 YZF frame will be perfect !!

i am REALLY excited about this bike!

it's the bike I have been dreaming my current '04 WR450 could be, lighter, thinner, FI, and top of the line front forks...I will get one

Interesting they're still using the older motor. Wonder why that is?

Probably because its a tried and tested motor with good power and legendary reliability. Why change it? the WR's needed a new chasis, not a new motor.

anxious to see what it weighs being a bit taller and adding FI ...

Seems that the new bikes are still pretty portly when weighed on the scale. I think we will also have to wait for a ride test of the bike to see how heavy it feels when you are riding it.

We now need a shootout with the new 2012 wr450 vs the 2012 ktm 450 xc-w.

Edited by mauricedorris

Hope Yamaha sends us a few of these!!

wr450-2.jpg

pretty sure that second link is Italian :)

anxious to see what it weighs being a bit taller and adding FI ...

It will probably weight the same.

I'll let you guys know Sunday (9/18) how the bike rides/feels/weighs etc. Maybe some pics if allowed......:):)

Really? Can I come?

I was having a really bad day untel I read this! So stoked on Yamaha right now. Any one want a sweet 08 with everything on it. Ha ha:banana::)

I'll let you guys know Sunday (9/18) how the bike rides/feels/weighs etc. Maybe some pics if allowed......:):)

What? How do I get a piece of that. I can be wherever with little to no notice.

If I had to guess as to why the old engine, I would think it has to do with enabling a larger fuel capacity. That's been a bother with the new YZ450. Also, the 4 valve engine has an edge in terms of very high rpm power because of superior port flow, but the 5 valve Genesis design is still better at lower speeds. Whether they thought of that, or it was simple convenience is an open question.

From the picture, it looks like the twin chamber fork made it to the WR, but it's too hard to be sure from what you can see.

I bet the space that the pipe on the new YZ motor uses up was a concern too.

The WR450 has a great motor so I'm glad they kept it.

Just talked to my dealer and he says it weighs 275 lbs. Ugghh.

It's not my party....I was invited...but I promise to spill my guts with a report and not hold back Sunday:smirk:

I can hold your bike for you while you adjust your goggles.

Or I can be your MC 'fluffer' too........:)

Just talked to my dealer and he says it weighs 275 lbs. Ugghh.

275lbs full of fuel (I am assuming) puts it right in the ballpark with the other bikes. This is not really a race bike, its a trail bike. Its capable of some really "spirited" rides, but that's what it is.

How it rides matter more than what it weighs. Just don't drop it:thumbsup:

Don't think ferrari, think... cadillac.

275lbs full of fuel (I am assuming) puts it right in the ballpark with the other bikes. This is not really a race bike, its a trail bike. Its capable of some really "spirited" rides, but that's what it is.

How it rides matter more than what it weighs. Just don't drop it:thumbsup:

Don't think ferrari, think... cadillac.

I highly disagree.

The single-cylinder, 449cc, five-valve powertrain gets a reworked fuel-injection system intended to give ’more responsive and adaptable performance’, while a new ‘bilateral’ aluminium beam frame is almost 250-size in a bid to give quicker steering and sharper handling.

To match the frame, new slimline bodywork is also claimed to be to 250-class dimensions while the overall look is refreshed with new black Excel wheel rims, Pro-Taper bars and a new headlight cowl.

A ‘Competition Kit’ will also be available for riders using the bike in closed course enduros. It comprises race-spec exhaust, including silencer and tail pipe, 13/50 sprocket set and other items.

Following its successful introduction alongside its 2011 YZ450F motocrosser, for 2012 Yamaha is also offering WR450F riders the option of buying its ‘Power Tuner’, which enables bikes fitted with the competition kit to adjust the engine mapping to suit conditions.

13/50 is a bit low for a 450 isn't it?

I highly disagree.

OK... so give me a different perspective...