SM Wheels, are they worth the hassle of trying to score some?

Been trying for about a month to get a pair of SM wheels that I can make work with my speedo. (non-warp9) I'm always just too late. :)

Are they that much more fun for around town? Perfect would be a complete wheelset so that I can just unbolt one and bolt on the other. (I know.. It's slightly more complicated than that..)

Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

I have a 2003 DRZ400s. Thanks in advance.

Welcome!

YES!

I switched over about a year ago, I have yet to switch back. You are also going to want the larger front rotor.

I will switch back to knobbies soon, I am at the wear bars and been iching to get dirty.

Where did you get yours? Any tips on the right spots to go to score some? I've been primarily looking here and ebay.

How are they on your "inner hooligan" scale, and what did you end up with? (rim/hub/etc) ?

If I get some, what rear sprocket works best, if I want to keep the same sprocket up front for dirt, and just have to swap the rear?

I have some stock 06 SM wheels, S brake discs, 41t sprocket. Haven't been in a hurry to put them on sale yet though...

I have some stock 06 SM wheels, S brake discs, 41t sprocket. Haven't been in a hurry to put them on sale yet though...

Nice bike, p0diabl0. I love the garage feature on this site. :)

If you do decide to sell them, let me know. What rims/hubs/rotors?

06 Sm wheels w/ tires (ebay) 15/41t sprockets, front rotor w/re-locator bracket (I don't remember where)

The ride is smoother, I am not afraid of longer highway trips like I was w/the knobbies and different gearing. Oh! and the turns, very confident. If the trails are dry you would be surprised on where you can go.

You may also want to check supermotojunkie's classifieds, I think that is were I got the rotor and bracket.

the only way i found it worthwhile for me was to buy a 2nd drz to put them on.

otherwise the thought of swapping back & forth gives me the cold sweats haha

It was worth it for my inner hooligan. Not that I need any help being one, but the SM wheels have opened up some new ways to get my kicks.

My S was already my wheelie/stoppie tool (in addition to being my winter beater and single track mud bogger) but now that I have the 17's I find myself having a riot on tight and twisty roads, beating up on squids on sport bikes.

06 Sm wheels w/ tires (ebay) 15/41t sprockets, front rotor w/re-locator bracket (I don't remember where)

The ride is smoother, I am not afraid of longer highway trips like I was w/the knobbies and different gearing. Oh! and the turns, very confident. If the trails are dry you would be surprised on where you can go.

You may also want to check supermotojunkie's classifieds, I think that is were I got the rotor and bracket.

I searched ebay, and didn't see the ad you mentioned. I check daily.

supermotojunkie? Never heard of them, but I'll google them and take a look. I imagine the turn in on a 17" is very sharp, predictable, and fun, compared to a 21". :) Thanks for the tip.

the only way i found it worthwhile for me was to buy a 2nd drz to put them on.

otherwise the thought of swapping back & forth gives me the cold sweats haha

Hehe. I can't afford the 2nd DRZ. My 2003 is paid for, and I still owe about half on my 1200GS.

Registered on SMJ, and sent a few PMs after looking through the for sale section. :)

I searched ebay, and didn't see the ad you mentioned. I check daily.

supermotojunkie? Never heard of them, but I'll google them and take a look. I imagine the turn in on a 17" is very sharp, predictable, and fun, compared to a 21". :) Thanks for the tip.

Hehe. I can't afford the 2nd DRZ. My 2003 is paid for, and I still owe about half on my 1200GS.

understood. for me, at over $1000 bucks for SM wheel set-up, spending another $1500 for a plated E model was the ticket.

yes, i've got much more than $1500 into it now, but it's always ready to ride....well almost always

Do you ride off road? You can get some kenda k761 or stock deathwings and have great road manners and be okay on the trails. You can even put full street tires on your 18/21 rims.

with the SM setup you have better braking, more lean angle and being able to actually put the power down while leaned over. Under 30mph i think an S with decent street tires handles better than a converted S to SM(not a stock one). At least its easier to flick around. That being said the SM wheels are a lot of fun:)

I'm also interested in a used set of SM wheels

another vote for smj. I got my oem sm wheels for $500 picked up from there :)

What should I expect to pay for a set of OEM wheels, with everything?

How about a set of Excel with everything?

New vs used?

What I've seen between here and ebay is anywhere from 800-1200$.

+ infinity on getting SM wheels.

That price range is pretty accurate (new or used). But once in a while you can find them cheaper. And I wouldn't rule out Warp9. If you installed a Trail Tech Vapor, it makes swapping between different wheel sets a breeze.

To add to what everyone else has said, the 17's give you better handling characteristics. Since the rotating mass is different due to reduced wheel/tire diameter, you will find that the 17's are more "twitchy" and responsive.

I went directly from my S knobbies to the SM 17" w/street tires. The bike definitely takes corners better than with the knobbies.

But I never tried the front 21" with street tires which I think would yield a much softer ride on bumpy pavement than the 17 inchers (anybody who has traveled through Tijuana streets knows what I mean).

I just went with Avon Distanzias on the 18/21 wheels. It's a different bike! Does ok on dry trails too.

I went directly from my S knobbies to the SM 17" w/street tires. The bike definitely takes corners better than with the knobbies.

But I never tried the front 21" with street tires which I think would yield a much softer ride on bumpy pavement than the 17 inchers (anybody who has traveled through Tijuana streets knows what I mean).

How long have you had your drz? I would think it would get stolen pretty fast down there. i dont even trust it here...

Why not pick up a set of gixxer wheels and put them on? I've always liked the look of sportbike tires on Motards. The wheels would be cheaper, but there would be more work involved in getting them to fit.