WR Radiator a Bolt on Replacement?

I have an '06 YZ450F with a mashed R/H radiator. It doesn't leak but I'd like to replace it this winter. The bike has been converted to trail, and I regularly ride in 100° weather at 7,000+ feet in sand. The point is it gets hot.

Does the WR450 radiator provide more cooling than the YZ450F? And if so, will it bolt on with little or no modification?

-Joshua

Hi, Joshua!!

I don't know how much help this will be for you. But I recently put on a set of the ebay/Chinese made rads on my '06. I'm really happy with their quality, for the most part, how "tough" they seem to be, and (so far) how they are working out. I will preface what I just said with this: I only have 2 short rides with the new radiators. One ride on my own palatial estate with 2.5 acres of property, and a little more riding on some agricultural land nearby that I poached a ride on. On each of these I was simply puttin' around, slowly following my 16 yr. old daughter that's learning to ride, and practicing her clutch control.

The advantages of these radiators are:

1. Quality. They're actually made really well.

2. Price. I bought both of mine for $120. The best price I found for a Yamaha OEM was $204.

3. They're bigger! The tanks look to be larger than stock, and the core is definitlely thicker, by a good amount. That should help keep things cooler, in theory.....

4. A "guess" here: I'm betting they are stronger than stock. Time, and crashes, will be the test......? I say this because I bent my stock one in a really minor crash. I straightened it out somewhat, by hand, very easily. I don't think I could do that with the new ones.....

The disavantages:

1. I had to jump through some hoops to get them to clear my fuel tank, due to their bigger size. I had to get a heat gun, heat/soften the plastic, and smoosh in a small clearance dent on on each side of my fuel tank, to clear the upper tanks.

2. For some reason, the lower fitting for a hose coming from the y-pipe, on the rt. side radiator, had a fitting that was around .050" smaller in o.d. than the stocker. I "enlarged" it pretty easily, with a tapered punch I have here at home. No leaks so far.....

3. I couldn't find any radiator guards/cages/whatever that would fit over these bigger tanks. I called Flatland Racing, Unibiker, and Devol Racing. Flatland & Unibiker said they didn't think their guards would clear. One of them (I forget which place; sorry.... ? ) said they were considering possibly making a bigger guard for this reason. Devol flatly stated their guards won't work with these bigger radiators. The lady I spoke to at Devol seemed very adamant that they wouldn't work, and was actually kinda "cross" with me. As if it bothered her to answer my questions..... :smashpc:

I now have a set of Devol radiator guards on my '06. It took a small amount of filing to get their gussets on the upper part of their guard to clear the front, outtermost part of my radiator tanks, both sides. I also chose to enlongate the mounting slots, with a small round file, to allow the guards to mount a little higher, and require less filing of the gussets mentioned above. I basically went with the Devols, in spite of what I felt was kind of a poor attitude towards a potential customer, because I felt they would be easiest to adapt (only took a little bit of time with 2 files? ). I got the set for around $90 shipped, off of ebay. Not the best deal ever, nor are they the greatest guard, but they're better than nothing, in my mind.....

Plus, I plan on emailing Devol a pic of the guards on my bike, and saying "Neener neener neener, hahahaha!"...... :busted:?

Anyway, I know this probably won't answer your question. But I hope it lets ya know there are options out there, and they're really not too bad of options.....

Jimmie

Oh, Yeah!!! Good call on Mylers, Mikewrf18!!!

If Joshua is worried about the thing getting hot, a repaired stocker radiator with a pc fan might be the best, and possibly cheapest way to go....

Seems like the real problem with these bikes running hot is when you're in a situation where there's no airflow to the radiators. The stockers are actually adequate, as long as there's air moving thru them.....

Jimmie

Oh, Yeah!!! Good call on Mylers, Mikewrf18!!!

If Joshua is worried about the thing getting hot, a repaired stocker radiator with a pc fan might be the best, and possibly cheapest way to go....

Seems like the real problem with these bikes running hot is when you're in a situation where there's no airflow to the radiators. The stockers are actually adequate, as long as there's air moving thru them.....

Jimmie

I used Mylers a few times. I'd overnight them, and by the time I would get off work the next day they were already awaiting my payment so they could mail them back. And my radiators were leaking and twisted pretty bad. For exta $$$ you can have them reinforced for a stronger rad. A fan would sure help in that type of riding condition. I believe you'd need an aftermarket stator to run it though.

Forgot to mention, Welcome to the site nemesisnxt! :smashpc:

Some guys here (TTR250Dude?? others???) run the pc fan with a rechargeable battery, in a total loss setup...... If I can possibly squeeze one in under a new Clarke tank I hope to have in a few weeks, I sure wanna try a total loss setup like that......

And you're correct. Our stock electrical system won't juice enough for an ignition and the fan.... :smashpc: I really wish it would. I think that would give the YZ the potential to be an even better offroad bike than it is......

Jimmie

Edited by Diesel Goober
forgot something

Some guys here (TTR250Dude?? others???) run the pc fan with a rechargeable battery, in a total loss setup...... If I can possibly squeeze one in under a new Clarke tank I hope to have in a few weeks, I sure wanna try a total loss setup like that......

And you're correct. Our stock electrical system won't juice enough for an ignition and the fan.... :smashpc: I really wish it would. I think that would give the YZ the potential to be an even better offroad bike than it is......

Jimmie

I'd be interested in hearing more about the total loss setup. A few of my friends could really benefit from it. What fan are you planning on using? Anything else needed? Maybe there is a thread about it on TT somewhere, I'll start searching.