Novice to dirt looking for what to buy

1. Provide your height, weight and skill level

I am 5'9" 225lbs have ridden quite a bit of super moto (indoor) and roadracing. No real dirt experience

2. Specify your price range if that's a limiting factor

Would like to keep cost under 3500 for a used bike

3. Describe the terrain types & conditions the bike will be ridden in.

Would be riding trails and a few local tracks. Possibly budds creek in md once I get my skills up.

4. If you're changing bikes, what did you have previously and what do you want the new bike to do differently?

Nothing currently.

I was considering a CRF 450 but not sure if that would be too much bike to begin with.

Thanks

I am in a pretty similar position to you. Up until a few months ago I had ridden almost exclusively street bikes. I'm 5 11 180. I ride mostly on the track I am an expert level rider with all the local trackday orgs riding a 750 and literbikes. Wanted to get into dirt so I got crf100f and a crf450r. The 450 is crazy fun but pretty big and powerful to start off on. I'm still going to keep it cuz it's really fun but I think i'll also be beefing up the suspension on the 100f so I can learn on that one as well. The 450 is pretty hard to handle for advanced trail rides. If you are going to be going really slow and could stall it's a pain to restart in the middle of a trail. The 100f is a breeze in these situations. The 450 was a lot more fun on the MX tracks. Jumping it and powering it around corners was a lot easier but definitely more of a workout then the 100f.

I am in a pretty similar position to you. Up until a few months ago I had ridden almost exclusively street bikes. I'm 5 11 180. I ride mostly on the track I am an expert level rider with all the local trackday orgs riding a 750 and literbikes. Wanted to get into dirt so I got crf100f and a crf450r. The 450 is crazy fun but pretty big and powerful to start off on. I'm still going to keep it cuz it's really fun but I think i'll also be beefing up the suspension on the 100f so I can learn on that one as well. The 450 is pretty hard to handle for advanced trail rides. If you are going to be going really slow and could stall it's a pain to restart in the middle of a trail. The 100f is a breeze in these situations. The 450 was a lot more fun on the MX tracks. Jumping it and powering it around corners was a lot easier but definitely more of a workout then the 100f.

We are in exactly the same boat. I have a CRF 150F set up for indoor SM. I actually took it out on the outdoor track yesterday and it was fun but just not built for a MX track. I was told not to get a 250 because they tend to blow up. I would be riding fairly slowly following my son half the time.

We are in exactly the same boat. I have a CRF 150F set up for indoor SM. I actually took it out on the outdoor track yesterday and it was fun but just not built for a MX track. I was told not to get a 250 because they tend to blow up. I would be riding fairly slowly following my son half the time.

Where did you go? I'm in Va as well. Did you go to all sports? I am thinking of setting up my 100f for SM so I can go there and ride SM at sandy hook as well with my 6 year old. He has a crf50.

I'm reading what y'all are writing with dreams of buying soon but I was looking towards a 250. Now you really give me reason to pause and reflect. Do you know why these guys are saying a 250 would "blow up?"

I'm reading what y'all are writing with dreams of buying soon but I was looking towards a 250. Now you really give me reason to pause and reflect. Do you know why these guys are saying a 250 would "blow up?"

I think the issue is just the valves. If the bikes are not properly maintained then you can have issues. I guess the older honda's are notorious for this but it's pretty standard maintanance check on any vehicle and any brand.

Any model of any make could "blow up." You could take a 2002 yz250f that you bought for 400 bucks, fix it up and not have a problem if you maintain it. You could also go buy a 2012 yz250f and not maintain it and it could blow. Same with a 450. Look up a video of someone doing valves on their 4 stroke, if it seems too complicated or confuses you and you dont know how an engine works then you will be sending your bike to the shop for everything and giving them a lot of money.

Alright now onto the posted topic.

A 450 is too much for a starter on dirt, too heavy, too much power and just not the way to go for a first bike. A 125 2 stroke will be the best bike to get. Cheap rebuilds, easy to work on, very light, very nimble and a little bit more forgiving but still has enough power to get you anywhere you want to go.

I've ridden 125 bikes indoors and they are very small and I can literally pick them up and throw them around. Also the suspension is just WAY too plush for my weight.

It wouldn't be hard to adjust the suspension to your weight, Most riders to change the suspension to suit them...

If you're in love with the feel of a 450 motor, get a CRF450X instead of a CRF450R for the trails. It is a lot of bike. It's tall, heavy, and the valves will eventually need replacement if you ride regularly. Keep your air filter and oil clean and enjoy twisting the throttle on 'da 450. Once you get used to the 450 power, all the others feel weak.:smashpc:

A more sensible thing to do is to buy something like a CRF250X and ride it a couple of years until you get bored of the motor.

A 450 is too much for a starter on dirt, too heavy, too much power and just not the way to go for a first bike. A 125 2 stroke will be the best bike to get. Cheap rebuilds, easy to work on, very light, very nimble and a little bit more forgiving but still has enough power to get you anywhere you want to go.

Agreed!

A more sensible thing to do is to buy something like a CRF250X and ride it a couple of years until you get bored of the motor.

If you don't want a smoker, then this sounds good too. Good luck. Braaap!!

Everyone says the same thing about street bikes that you should never start on a big bike but I think its based on the person. I started on an ex250 because everyone said don't get a 600 on the street and after a few weeks I was ready for more power. I completely regretted starting on the small bike. When I switched to dirt I bought a 450. I love the power. It is a bit tall but thats the only complaint I have. The power will keep me interested for a long time. Just about the same time I bought a crf100f. I like that bike too but I'm just going to use it when chasing my son around. No regrets on the 450.