Sign in to follow this  

? Miles on your DR650 w/HC 10:1 Piston

Thinking about the HC piston but my DR650 has to be as "bomb proof" as they are with the stock set up. Has anyone put a significant number of miles (over 20K) on the bike with the HC 10:1 piston and 223 grind cam set up?

Thx

About 10,000 miles with a JE 10.5:1 and a Webcam 223 grind.

I'm totally happy with the pair, plus I have a Supertrapp, Factory Pro carb kit, K&N filter and I took almost 40 lbs. of crap off the bike in the first few days.

The bike got so much more powerful that I went up one tooth up front, my dirt riding is limited mostly to gravel roads.

Only problem is with so much torque I have made it jump out of second gear a number of times, so keeping with my insanity I think I will send the tranny to R&D Motorsports for back cutting this winter.

Unless, can anyone tell me, does the stock trans have back cut dogs.

I may just need a shift fork or a set of gears and actually it really is not all that bad, it may pop out once every hundred miles.

You will like the piston, especially with the cam.

Dave

Mine's an 09 and I've put 25k on it with the stocker piston/cam. I've had the full FMF system on for a while, open airbox and TM40, seat etc. since it first clocked 500 miles. I figured besides the suspension there's not much else to do but the engine mods. I'm reluctant to spend much time and money on the suspension given this thing is heavy and has limited travel. Besides I have a KTM 300 2t and a Husky 310 4t, both plated for those occasions where I feel i need to launch on 2 wheels. I still love the DR though. Hard to beat it for just plain toughness. Thx

About 10,000 miles with a JE 10.5:1 and a Webcam 223 grind.

I'm totally happy with the pair, plus I have a Supertrapp, Factory Pro carb kit, K&N filter and I took almost 40 lbs. of crap off the bike in the first few days.

The bike got so much more powerful that I went up one tooth up front, my dirt riding is limited mostly to gravel roads.

You will like the piston, especially with the cam.

Dave

Dave-what is your jetting and what kinds of MPG are you getting? Our bikes are very similar and my mileage feels low to me.

I have an 08 with about 3000 miles on an hc piston and 223 can. I get 48/52 mpg with 157 main and fmf header and gsxr muffler. My riding is at 3500/9000 ft.

Dave-what is your jetting and what kinds of MPG are you getting? Our bikes are very similar and my mileage feels low to me.

I have the 160 MJ and of course the Titanium needle that comes with the Factory Pro kit but I have no clue what groove the clip is in.

I do have the snorkel removed now but no holes in the airbox.

I always run Sunoco 93 as it is the only gas in town without Ethanol.

I have a K&N, Supertrapp W/8 or 9 plates.

So, I refill at about 100 miles and it takes right about 1.9 gallons.

That would be 52.6 MPG, but I ride pretty hard.

I usually keep it between 60 and 80 MPH (real MPH, it's comfort zone) the speedo says 108 at 100 which is just about the limit with the extra tooth up front.

Can't believe I have not received a speeding ticket in the last 5 years.

I'll have to check what all jets I have in it as I think I changed the pilot too.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: I will say that it is a little rich with the 160 MJ, there is always black soot around the exhaust and it smells a little rich. Plugs also show a little rich, but being a 2 stroke guy I prefer a little rich because a little lean holes pistons in a 2 stroke.

Edited by Shady Dave
Added info

I have a fcr-mx in mine. jet numbering is prob not the same, but I get ~31 mpg around town. I can get 45 or so at a freeway drone.