Which is better for the XR400 - Mineral or synthetic Oil

Have run in the rebuilt engine (now 426 kit) and currently using a mineral oil. Just wondering what everyone suggests?

1. Stick with the Mineral oil

2. Go with a Synthetic oil

Do a lot of single track and dirt trail riding. Refilled with Mineral oil at this stage, was considering the change of oil types when doing the next oil change.

Thanks in advance

Bulla:ride:

Edited by Bullamakanka

When I bought my XR4 new, I was adviced to run mineral oil for the first 1000km then swap over to synthetic by two different bike shops, buggered if I know why.

Some say they run in better using mineral based oil, some have told me not to run synthetic, others have said go synthetic after a run in.

Thinking I might keep this oil in up until the 1000km service and then swap it out for synthetic unless advice is received to the contrary.

As we bikers change oil on a much more frequent than recommended schedule, I don't believe that you get the benefits of synthetic oil, which is primarily longevity. Personally, I use Rotella T 15W-40 diesel oil in my XR4 (and everything else too).

JayC

Have run in the rebuilt engine (now 426 kit) and currently using a mineral oil. Just wondering what everyone suggests?

You don't really mean mineral oil as this would be totally unsuitable for use as an engine oil. What you could use is a petroleum based oil such as Rotella T 15W-40 (which has been officially approved for use in motorcycles).

Racers looking for that last .001 hp or folks that don't want to change their oil as often or folks that just want to feel better like I do when I use NGk plugs. I think if you keep fresh oil it doesn't matter so much. I have 180,000 miles on my car. I am not too particular what kind of oil, I just change it every 3,000 miles.

You don't really mean mineral oil as this would be totally unsuitable for use as an engine oil. What you could use is a petroleum based oil such as Rotella T 15W-40 (which has been officially approved for use in motorcycles).

By Mineral oil, I meant the petroleum based non-synthetic 4 stroke motorcycle oil not actually mineral oil.

I noticed Shell and Motul here in Australai actually sell "mineral" type oil and synthetic oils.

Mineral: http://www.linkint.com.au/motul_1000_20w50_4t_page.html

Synthetic: http://www.linkint.com.au/motul_3100_gold_10w40_4t_page.html

Links are examples of what I mean

By Mineral oil, I meant the petroleum based non-synthetic 4 stroke motorcycle oil not actually mineral oil.

I noticed Shell and Motul here in Australai actually sell "mineral" type oil and synthetic oils.

Mineral: http://www.linkint.com.au/motul_1000_20w50_4t_page.html

Synthetic: http://www.linkint.com.au/motul_3100_gold_10w40_4t_page.html

Links are examples of what I mean

Whatever you mean, it does not matter. Not a human alive or test facility available that can prove the benefit of one over the other in real world use. Save a lot of money. Use any 10/40 or 20/50 brand you can find and change it frequently. Religiously.

That works for some but not in Baja.We ride 4-7 day rides.Without having a place to change oil.We have found out when its hot the reg oil burns fast(Using oil) turns black like tar when rode hard.Where its less work ,less money to use synt oil,in the long run.I do agree for the guy,that rides a few times a month.Few hundred miles the reg oil fine.

That works for some but not in Baja.We ride 4-7 day rides.Without having a place to change oil.We have found out when its hot the reg oil burns fast(Using oil) turns black like tar when rode hard.Where its less work ,less money to use synt oil,in the long run.I do agree for the guy,that rides a few times a month.Few hundred miles the reg oil fine.
Not arguing but I'll bet a couple of quarters or a fish taco that richer jetting may provide the same benefit. I really think if you are turning high quality dino oil into tar you have another problem.

For us this on the same bikes using reg oil,than going to synt oil.Another thing we use to use the reg honda oil,our xr250-400s.When I would run them wide open (TOP GEAR)on dirt road,like for over 2-5 mins they would down shift by themself to the next lower gear .Well this was not one bike our whole fleet.Talked to Honda factory rider,He said We would not use that in our race bikes.Changed over to Synt oil,no more down shifts on its own.If you want to try something next time at the campfire pour a little reg oil over a rock in the fire ,than try the synt oil.

For us this on the same bikes using reg oil,than going to synt oil.Another thing we use to use the reg honda oil,our xr250-400s.When I would run them wide open (TOP GEAR)on dirt road,like for over 2-5 mins they would down shift by themself to the next lower gear .Well this was not one bike our whole fleet.Talked to Honda factory rider,He said We would not use that in our race bikes.Changed over to Synt oil,no more down shifts on its own.If you want to try something next time at the campfire pour a little reg oil over a rock in the fire ,than try the synt oil.

interesting