Plating an "E" in West Virginia possible?

I live in WV and have an 01 DRZ400E I bought from a gent in Ohio. I have the Ohio title in hand but it says "Off road use only" on it. I was wondering how difficult it would be to get this thing plated for the street, or if it was even possible. I realize I'd need to add turn signals, horn etc.

If anyone has any information on this I'd appreciate some help. My uncle is a in his 60s and going through a divorce and is without a vehicle until his divorce is final. (could be as late as Dec. before it's settled) So me being the good nephew I loaned him my daily driver. I would like to at least have the option of being able to ride the DRZ the short 5 mile trip to the office and back.

Thanks in advance!

It's all with your state requirements... Check with your local DMV for WV's rules and regulations. I just got an e model but to my luck I already found one that was converted and title changed. But when I was looking into it CT was not to bad but NY was a little harder.

Check with them an go from there. Some states it's almost to easy and some will never let u do it. If WV does, then it's pretty easy to find kits to accommodate the needs

It's all with your state requirements... Check with your local DMV for WV's rules and regulations. I just got an e model but to my luck I already found one that was converted and title changed. But when I was looking into it CT was not to bad but NY was a little harder.

Check with them an go from there. Some states it's almost to easy and some will never let u do it. If WV does, then it's pretty easy to find kits to accommodate the needs

Thanks for the reply but yeah, that was the first thing I did was call the DMV and after holding forever and talking to two different people they told me to call a State Police Lt. Zirkle and ask him as he had provided guidance to people in the past who were doing this. I called and was informed that he has since retired. :smashpc: The SP I did talk to told me I would likely have to go through a "reconstructed or salvage title" inspection in addition to the regular state inspection after installing the required equipment on the bike. I asked him where they did this magical inspection and he said he wasn't sure, but he was confident that they could tell me at the DMV. Well big surprise, they have no clue at the DMV either. So it appears no one really knows for sure so they all just tell you to call someone else to get you out of their hair.

So that's why I asked here, just to see if by a longshot someone here has done it. I guess I should keep my eye out for a reasonably priced S or SM frame.

Yea. Another headache I guess and run-arounds.

You can definitely find frames with titles. Keep your eye out in the classifieds, in fact there might be one or two right now...

I sure wouldn't think it would be a big deal in west Virginia, that's for sure but i guess not. I do know Virginia is not bad bc I was originally gonna have my uncle downthere register my e but I already found one done. BUT you may also be able to make it as a "custom" title and do it that was and you have to get special inspection or something. Don't know 100 percent details but good luck with whatever you do. Either way I'm sure you'll figure something out

im from northern virginia and i have a buddy with a xr650r he made street legal with the baja design kit. well its been two months now and still no luck at the DMV with them helping him get a plate. He got so fed up that he took a plate from his street bike and slapped it on his bike and has been riding around since. not a great idea haha

Thanks for the reply but yeah, that was the first thing I did was call the DMV and after holding forever and talking to two different people they told me to call a State Police Lt. Zirkle and ask him as he had provided guidance to people in the past who were doing this. I called and was informed that he has since retired. :smashpc: The SP I did talk to told me I would likely have to go through a "reconstructed or salvage title" inspection in addition to the regular state inspection after installing the required equipment on the bike. I asked him where they did this magical inspection and he said he wasn't sure, but he was confident that they could tell me at the DMV. Well big surprise, they have no clue at the DMV either. So it appears no one really knows for sure so they all just tell you to call someone else to get you out of their hair.

So that's why I asked here, just to see if by a longshot someone here has done it. I guess I should keep my eye out for a reasonably priced S or SM frame.

Honestly, most of the people working at the DMV don't really know crap about most of the laws, or they just pretend not to so they have to do less work

I went round and round in circles trying to get my Class M license from NY while stationed down here. First I took the MSF basic riders course and got my card. However NY DMV said I HAD to take the course IN NY. Called the MSF office and they gave me a NY MSF card.

My permit was expired, it clearly states on the NY DMV website the first time I have up to two years to renew it before having to retake the test. Filled out all the paperwork yadda yadda yadda sent it to Albany, NY dmv and after a month and a half they returned all my paperwork saying I had to retake my test and couldn't renew via mail. Sent it to my home town dmv and it was was processed and a license in the mail in two days.

Sorry for the long story, but its really who you know and how much research you do. Hope your endeavor goes better than mine is.