Sign in to follow this  

2001 YZ 250 Chain and Sproket Question

I'm new. I recently purchased a 2001 YZ 250. I mostly ride Trails and MX.

I was wondering what size chain to get, and how many lbs it should be able to handle when doing jumps.

Secondly, I was wondering what gearing, if not stock, would get me better low/mid end response. (Without losing any on top)

Thanks

I'm new. I recently purchased a 2001 YZ 250. I mostly ride Trails and MX.

I was wondering what size chain to get, and how many lbs it should be able to handle when doing jumps.

Secondly, I was wondering what gearing, if not stock, would get me better low/mid end response. (Without losing any on top)

Thanks

Stock gearing is 14/50, which nets a 3.57 final drive ratio. Increasing the final drive ratio shortens your gears and will give you better low/mid response.

You increase the final drive ratio by increasing the rear sprocket size, or decreasing the front sprocket size.

I caution you though... the yz250 already has decent torque down low and too high of a gearing will hurt more than help.

I'd advise a stock front sprocket with a 53 tooth rear sprocket if you are doing tight trail riding,

If you are riding extremely technical and tight stuff, go with a 13 tooth front and a stock 50 tooth rear.

If you are riding fast open trails, i'd suggest going with a 15 tooth front and a stock 50 tooth rear.

the recomended chain is a 114 link 520 pitch thats what i use also the 14 tooth front sproket 50 rear, it flys and im happy.

What is better DID 520 Xring, or Renthal 520 R3-2 O-Ring Chain?

DID has the highest force in the 8 thousands, Renthal is only 7 thousand.

Be careful with the X-ring and O-ring chains. Some are pretty wide and you can run into clearance problems. chain rubbing on the engine cases, etc. Look into the T-ring chains that come stock on the CRF-X's. They are not quite as wide.