Sign in to follow this  

dropped a screw

Hey,

I was doing 2 things that don't mix: watching my son and installing a Rekluse z start pro.

So, short story is I dropped one of the little torx head screws for the pressure plate. It fell into the small gap at the lower left corner of the clutch. I tried quickly with a magnet, but it is gone.

Question is, where do I even look. I have never been behind the clutch. Do I pull the clutch basket, pull the whole right side cover? If so, how?

Thanks

Hmmm. I would prob be taking the basket out myself. Im not sure it will come out easily without doing that. Maybe Im thinking of the wrong place though...

I think the basket needs to come out. How do I do that?

Remove the center nut and lock washer. I have never done this without the entire right cover off though. So you might have to remove it too! Get a shop manual first and also make sure you have a new gasket handy.

So I'm looking at the base of the clutch basket. I see the aluminum of the basket and splines from the back side. There are also 6 posts poking through from the back side. Do I just pull the basket straight out, or is there something holding it in? I have pulled gently, not much happens.

There is a big nut in the center of the basket. Don't take this wrong but with the questions your asking you should stop and get a manual. The side cover needs to be removed too. Good Luck.

There is a big nut in the center of the basket. Don't take this wrong but with the questions your asking you should stop and get a manual. The side cover needs to be removed too. Good Luck.

x2 & x2

x2 & x2

you might find the screw if you pull the outer cover and you won't have to remove the basket.

Outer cover comes off without removing the basket, but you'll have to drain the radiators and remove the water pump......

You'll need a new gasket.

Before you do all that, try leaning the bike on the ground on it's side and jostling it around to see if anything falls out.

That fastener is aluminum isn't it, not steel??

I have one of those.....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVIs5I6YYme_4m3aWIEmaoX5b-nwAZrtD-NgsFgxleIa-SNs1Z

What flavor works best? Good idea, got remember that

Outer cover comes off without removing the basket, but you'll have to drain the radiators and remove the water pump......

You'll need a new gasket.

Before you do all that, try leaning the bike on the ground on it's side and jostling it around to see if anything falls out.

That fastener is aluminum isn't it, not steel??

Mine is steel.

Like another post if you pull the side cover you might find it. The cover is not a big deal to take off.

The screw is steel. Anyhow, I got the kick start off, clutch cover off. I have the waoter pump cover off and the impeller off. I assume the side cover should just pull out from here( with a little work to free it from the gasket). I will get into that this weekend.