Sign in to follow this  

Training and Nutrition

Less than 2 months left to train for the 1000, and I'm wondering what solo riders especially, but really what everyone does to get in shape when not on the bike. And what do you eat race day?

And a follow up question is: What do you wish you had done differently in the past?

I also wonder if any of the guys in cages would share what they do?

hopefully mexihonkey will chime in here for you, i sense he has that nutrition stuff down pretty good, i know he likes spagetti o's

i would say get on a bicycle as much as possible, bikes teach you alot of things about your body, not to mention they really toughen up your ass

My suggestion is to follow a typical endurance athletes nutrition plan. There are hundreds of books and websites on the topic. I would suggest going there for a solid plan you can follow. Hydrate more than you've ever hydrated before, starting now. The week leading up to the race, hydrate even more, especially since you'll be consuming calories and water during pre-running. You should be well hydrated the morning of the race so I would suggest not drinking much water after you go to bed the night before the race, otherwise you'll be pissing every 5 minutes at the start line. I drank one 12oz. bottle of water with electrolyte powder the morning of the race, at around 3:30 AM.

I got up at 3:00 AM race day so I could eat and digest adequately before the start. You don't want to begin the first 100 miles of the race with a big wad of food in your stomach. I ate a big bowl of oatmeal (easy to digest). Get the good stuff... steal cut oatmeal, not the crap Quaker Oats instant oatmeal. You want quality food in your stomach.

I also relied on Gu gels to get me through race-day. I had them taped to my chest protector and a couple on my bike as backups. Test these out before the race though. Some people don't respond well to them. I also mixed eletrolyte powder in water bottles and made sure strategic pit locations had these along with energy bars and food (sandwiches, bananas, etc...).

As for training - cardio, cardio, cardio. Ride a bike, go for a run, go for a hike. Mix it up if you get bored. You want a strong heart for the race and the best thing you can do is cardio. Don't even bother lifting weights... it's a waste of time and energy. Ride 30 minute motos at the track and get a good 100+ mile ride in each week if you can.

Mexihonkey will endorse this - I discovered yoga and it's multitude of benefits. Nevermind the spiritual nonsense - stretching and core strength go a looooong way to improving your performance and efficiency on a bike. Yoga is a really fantastic exercise. If you don't like the word "yoga" find a local gym that offers yoga-esque classes. The gym classes are usually all about the exercise and less about harnessing your chi and sharing energy (i.e. farts) with the rest of the class. Make sure to line up behind a really hot chick... it helps get you through the session :smashpc: Trust me, it's not easy to hold a downward dog position for 1 minute! If nothing else, learn a good stretching and core strength routine and do it every day. You will benefit significantly from this.

Post race, make sure to drink more water and possibly a protein drink or some sort of "recovery" drink, otherwise you'll hurt even more later that night and the next day. Oh, and drink lots of beer and motorboat lots of boobies afterwards too!

Edited by Justin Hambleton

I soloed the 500 in 07 and the 1000 in 09. I did allmost all cardio for the 500 but for the 1000 I added p90x. In my humble opinion you do need weights, stretching and cardio. p90x has it all including yoga and then throw in a weekly 30-40mile bike ride. At least thats what I did. Race day pretty much stick to power bars and water. Good pair of biking shorts, lots of beudraex's butte past and be prepared for 20deg temps. I froze my a... off! Good luck.

Gary, your results speak loudly. What gave out on you? Not suggesting that anything did, just wondering if anything did, what it might have been!

I tried lots of different things over the last few years prepping for the ISDE. For the most part I gave up on most of the fancy things. Expensive drinks and powders just didn't work well overall for me. I did tons of reading and searching and most of it is totally confusing The argument of simple vs complex carbs, and protein mix is very inconclusive.

So here are some of my suggestions:

-figure out what works for you

-try lots of different things

-eat regularly during race to prevent bonking, but you have to figure out your own cycle

-find some variety, lots of times I get to the point where I can't possibly eat another ______, and want something different.

-keep some protein in the mix

-don't shy away from comfort food during race: Coke, chocolate, cookies, whatever, it will help your mood

-use foods that you like, that way they will be easier to eat when you feel sick, instead of trying to choke down something you that doesn't taste good.

Here are some specifics that work for me:

Hammer Gel (rasberry), gatorade, Mexican "coconut" flavor pedialite, coke, fruit cups, Cliff blocks, yogurt smoothies, peanut butter, honey, Camelback "Elixer" electrolyte tablets.

For me the bottom line is that I can get by solely on the Hammer gel if I absolutely have to, so I always have one or two with me at all times. Mixing a can of coke into my camelback also works well for me.

Best of luck

be careful not to overhydrate yourself before the race. its hard to get the balance but just remember human body cannot hold water like a camel does. drinking too much puts huge strain to your body. and last get as much rest and sleep before the race. Good luck!

Gary, your results speak loudly. What gave out on you? Not suggesting that anything did, just wondering if anything did, what it might have been!

What gave out? Something I did not see coming. The amount of energy I had to use to stay warm up in the mountains. If your going 40mph at 25 deg I don't know the wind chill but I remember it. I really ran down my energy batteries shivering.

One of the things about p90x that I think really paid off was you do alot of pull ups and reps with 15-20lb hand weights. The result is not only do you build upper body strenth but you really toughen up your hands. I had zero blisters.

Resist the temptation to short cut any exercise prep through any magical dietary supplement. Hit the workouts hard right now then taper off and towards the race. Do not ride your bike at all 2 days before.

To specifically answer your question, nothing really gave out primarilly because I knew if I went into the red zone with muscle cramps or dehydration that it would be hard to recover. So be carefull and understand how your body reacts which means push it now so you can figure out your limits and what you need to work on. Good luck!!

• Like 1

Let the yogi speak and his way will be done

I've never solod but I've seen these guys at the finish line and they are dogtoast, just like in the movies, MH, not so much. I can imagine though, that the 1st time 1000 soloist rides into a literal black hole, a direct route to the edge of comprehension; it is a step over into the dark side of racing all day and night.

MH: what is the real word on all of this for Frick?

Ok so I've done V2R, when it was still over 600 miles, and the 1000 is in the cards for me at some point.

Here's my advice anyhow:

1) I Agree with 'most' all the advice above.

2) Can't wait to hear Mexi-Honkey's advice, I'd follow it too.

3) Hammer and Gu's don't work for me, but the Power Gels do. Read Justin and Chilly's comments on testing stuff before the race. I used Gu's in the V2R race this year (without testing in advance) and they gave me a stomach ache. Not fun, glad I wasn't solo'in this year!

When I solo'd V2R in 05 or 06 I crashed hard at RM 100 (that's why I can't remember if it was 06 or 08... ) ...get it! :smashpc:

Again, don't try to race, just ride! You're a solo guy, don't even think about 'racing', just 'ride' a nice pace, your just there to finish a big bucket list item likely so take'r easy. If you have the time and money to do all the fancy training like they say above, great if not just ride as much as you can between now and then. Do some 200 mile rides if you can!

I'll do this combo at our 50 mile 'Night 'Baja loop in Rio Rancho. Show up about 2 hrs before dark. Set-up with enough gas cans, food, etc to support a 200 mile ride. Do qty 4 50 mile loops in a row. Stop every loop to gas, and get a Power Gel (or whatever your using for calories). You'll ride into the night and get that sensation of riding at the day time, the dusk time (sux) and the night time. That transistion is kinda wierd sometimes.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and a post race break down!

PS: I did finish the V2R that year as the last bike to cross the finish line before the cut-off. I stopped to let all the faster trucks and buggys go by when they caught me. Took about a 1-2 hr break to fuel my body and mind at the same time, I had spained both wrists and could barely hang on.

ka

Edited by NewMexican
...and the PS for more BS!

I am pretty quiet on here but this is one area of experience that I can share and I hope it helps. I have been an endurance athlete all my life and have learned a lot. From the days of liver tabs and gatorade or stomach wrenching Cytomax and Power Bars (24 hours of Moab 1997) to my b1k solo last year which included the best supplement program I have ever had. Primarily because of the quality of supplement Hammer Nutrition makes and the fact that I tested and tweaked my intake until it was just right...before race day.

Just like others said, #1 you need to try your supplements before race day; keep in mind that adding and deleting things or eating "foods" with supplements can adversely affect your results.

I worked with the Hammer Nutrition products for about 8 weeks prior to race day. I first contacted them and told them of my intentions; I did not just ask for information from the sales guy on the phone, I went beyond them and talked to a guy ( I think his name was Justin).

I would go ride the track non-stop, do cycling work outs, etc. and use the supplements. I would note my intake and any affects positive and negative. I would then call Hammer back and share my notes and they would tweak my intake, etc. In the end here is what worked.

I drank as much of a tall water bottle of these two Hammer products as I could at every point I met my chase crew:

Hammer Perpetuem powder with 3 tablespoons of Hammer Gel in each. Endurolytes Fizz in a separate bottle.

Every Hour (in addition to above):

Perpetuem Solids- 4 tablets an hour

Endurolytes- 2 an hour

Endurance Amino- 2 per hour

Hammer Gels- taped to my bars

Lots of water in the Camelback

I packed the Solids in the plastic cylinders that hammer has for them and kept them in my vest pocket. These are dry when you eat them so watter helps get them down.

I packed the Endurlolytes and the Endurance Aminos in little jewelry style zip lock bags, 2 and 2 in each. The little zip locks were easy to just tear the top off with my teeth and poor them into my mouth. Both the solids and zip locks were easily accessible and only took seconds to get them in my mouth.

Lastly, I ate avocado's when ever I stopped at my support truck. Maybe 4-5 total (and they tasted like filet mignon). Lots of good calories and fat in an avocado.

That's it. That's all I consumed for 37 hours and the best part, something I have never encountered before with any other products, my recovery was fast, my bowl movements where normal (even after the race) and my transition back to food was seamless.

I will note- I suffered from dehydration the second day which cost me over 3 hours in total. Why? Because I did not stick to my nutrition program and did not take in enough water and Endurolytes Fizz (electrolytes). It was much warmer down south on day 2 and I did not adjust my intake accordingly.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/

Good luck.

I am pretty quiet on here but this is one area of experience that I can share and I hope it helps. I have been an endurance athlete all my life and have learned a lot. From the days of liver tabs and gatorade or stomach wrenching Cytomax and Power Bars (24 hours of Moab 1997) to my b1k solo last year which included the best supplement program I have ever had. Primarily because of the quality of supplement Hammer Nutrition makes and the fact that I tested and tweaked my intake until it was just right...before race day.

Just like others said, #1 you need to try your supplements before race day; keep in mind that adding and deleting things or eating "foods" with supplements can adversely affect your results.

I worked with the Hammer Nutrition products for about 8 weeks prior to race day. I first contacted them and told them of my intentions; I did not just ask for information from the sales guy on the phone, I went beyond them and talked to a guy ( I think his name was Justin).

I would go ride the track non-stop, do cycling work outs, etc. and use the supplements. I would note my intake and any affects positive and negative. I would then call Hammer back and share my notes and they would tweak my intake, etc. In the end here is what worked.

I drank as much of a tall water bottle of these two Hammer products as I could at every point I met my chase crew:

Hammer Perpetuem powder with 3 tablespoons of Hammer Gel in each. Endurolytes Fizz in a separate bottle.

Every Hour (in addition to above):

Perpetuem Solids- 4 tablets an hour

Endurolytes- 2 an hour

Endurance Amino- 2 per hour

Hammer Gels- taped to my bars

Lots of water in the Camelback

I packed the Solids in the plastic cylinders that hammer has for them and kept them in my vest pocket. These are dry when you eat them so watter helps get them down.

I packed the Endurlolytes and the Endurance Aminos in little jewelry style zip lock bags, 2 and 2 in each. The little zip locks were easy to just tear the top off with my teeth and poor them into my mouth. Both the solids and zip locks were easily accessible and only took seconds to get them in my mouth.

Lastly, I ate avocado's when ever I stopped at my support truck. Maybe 4-5 total (and they tasted like filet mignon). Lots of good calories and fat in an avocado.

That's it. That's all I consumed for 37 hours and the best part, something I have never encountered before with any other products, my recovery was fast, my bowl movements where normal (even after the race) and my transition back to food was seamless.

I will note- I suffered from dehydration the second day which cost me over 3 hours in total. Why? Because I did not stick to my nutrition program and did not take in enough water and Endurolytes Fizz (electrolytes). It was much warmer down south on day 2 and I did not adjust my intake accordingly.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/

Good luck.

Correction! It was not Endurance Amino's. I used Anti-Fatigue Caps and Endurolytes. And... yes yoga keeps you limber and reduces chances of pulling muscles, etc.

I am a little dissapointed that the admin moved this thread. I think alot of people going to the Baja thread have soloing it in the back of their mind. Figuring out how to do it from a training/nutrition view point is different from training for a 5 lap moto.

I think one of the mental things that makes it bearable is don't just trail ride it. Get into race mode just don't go into the red zone. Anyone that has been in a race then for whatever reason goes into "i'm just going to finish" will realize that that is when the pain starts. You feel every bump and it gets to be a long day. Stay a bit agressive. Keep the adrenaline flowing.

I am a little dissapointed that the admin moved this thread. I think alot of people going to the Baja thread have soloing it in the back of their mind. Figuring out how to do it from a training/nutrition view point is different from training for a 5 lap moto. ...............

I agree. Specifically, the question was asked about the Baja 1000. Not general fitness. Why was the thread moved?

I am respectfully asking the admin to bring this back to Baja forum. The logistics of body fuel in Baja are totally unique.

I appreciate all your feedback! I am a lifelong endurance athlete, but the pure logistical problems of bringing supplements and food on your bike and to remote locations can not be found anywhere else. That is why I asked this question in the Baja forum.

I tried to solo last year for the first time. I made it 620 miles until my clutch burned out and it was over for me. Here is what I learned from a training perpspective:

1. Cycle, Cycle, Cycle: The biggest problem I had was my quads started seizing up - the same sensation you get when you do a hard bicycle ride. I did a lot of weight training and core training but I did not do enough cardio and cycling. Make cycling the foundation of your training program (IMO).

2. Nutrition: Lots of good advice in this thread but I think the most important is you MUST find what works for you. 2 products that really worked for me were Hammer Gels and Hammer Heed which is hydration drink mix. I made the mistake of adding Perpetum to my plan at the last minute and had a lot of gastro problems. Not saying Perpetum is bad but you need to test and see what ratios you body can take. Also, 5hr Energy works for me really well, especailly later in the race when you start to bonk.

3. Bonking: YOu will bonk at some point. It happend to me at the San Ignacio ~RM 500. I had my chase team there and they followed the nutrition plan (that I prepared in advance) and I bounced back really quick. Don't be afraid of things like caffine they can help you.

Bottomline, do your homework, know what works for your body. Prepare a written plan (pit by pit) or at least key pits throughout the race. Make sure your support team understands the plan and executes it...no matter what you say.

Can't wait to try again in 2012 - The quest for Cabo!

A few questions and a few suggestions...

1) How old are you? Have you been training up to this point specifically for the race?

Only 2 months to go, that's really 6 weeks of training. That's not much. Starting a training program right now and hitting it hard without much base is just a recipe for fatigue and injury. If you don't have a pretty strong base at this point, don't jump into something super demanding. If you do have a good base, the next month is the time to hit it hard.

Training - Ideally, I would just moto everyday if I had the chance. That's up to whatever you like. I say you solo with either finesse or fitness. If you don't like riding a mtb or you have to drive 2 hours to do it, then don't mtb. I would like to moto more but it takes all day and I like to hang with my kids too much so I rely on fitness. Don't think you need to do one or two speicific things... just do something you like, is convenient and do a lot of that something. This time of year, I like to ride 1 or 2 times a week with big mileage sept - oct.

2) Do you have any (moto/bicycle/run etc) solo endurance event/race experience (like over 12 hours)? That's where you learn what you will want to eat/drink. I don't think you can get a good idea of your fueling on a 6-10 hour moto ride. I think the message to take home from all these posts is you need to figure out what is best for you. Everyone has a different plan.

I can tell you what I eat when I solo a long moto race or a 24 hour mtb race. I eat real food that goes down fast. Potatoes/salt/oil, Sandwiches, pita/hummus, tacos, burritos, soup, chips, nuts, fruit, cookies, hohos, zingers. Whatever I eat everyday. I don't touch gels or bars. I think I had one gel at the 2010 1000, just to keep my mind sharp. I only drink water, electrolyte tabs (I use NUUN) on the bike & Kefir milk, chocolate milk or Coke in a pit. May sound weird, take it or leave it. It's all based on a lot of years experience.

Hammer makes the best stuff if you're into that. I use it sometimes for training because it is convenient. I think all that stuff is an overpriced marketing scam for the most part.

I hope that helps, I wish I could have said it in half the words.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread, I say try it all out. Good luck, have fun, smile when it gets tough, love woops... I'm glad I'm chasing this year.

Edited by mexihonkey