Sport quad for the trails....

I'm new here, but not new to the off road toy world. I didn't see an into thread.

Anyway, I'm looking for a sport quad for the trails.

I would like reverse but its not a must.

e-start would be nice.

I don't really want to go the raptor route. I'm leaning towards the polaris 525 outlaw IRS. I've very familiar with the KTM motor.

Don't really want a 400 unless its crack head cheap.

Suggestions??

Depends on what you mean by 'trail'. Where I ride, a trail is something that is aprox the width of the quad (50"). You will never get out of 3rd gear, so top speed it totally irrelevant. They can be rough and highly technical, to totally non-technical. Anything much wider, is a 'road', not a trail. I bring this up, because I know that in some parts of the counrty, a 'trail' is anything that isn't a motocross track or quary riding, etc. If your definition of a trail is my definition of a road, read no further and just get yourself a 450 (Honda or Yamaha).

So....a trail quad by my definition has to be agile, relatively light, and it has to have an engine that will lug down and take you through the rough stuff. I give the Honda 400 the top spot, followed by the Suzuki 400, then the Raptor 700. The Honda 700 which got mentioned, is kind of a huge heavy pig, and the Outlaw engine likes to rev, so it is better for more open country (which may or may not be what YOU actually ride).

I have my Honda geared down a little, and in the really rough technical stuff, I can put it in 1st gear and idle through the nasty technical sections. It climbs hills like a goat. Pure perfection and the definition of fun!

I have a raptor 700 here, Don't like it. To tall for me. The best Trail quad I have ridden was a predator 500. Low end torque and plenty fast enough.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up....so I have to wonder why you are bothering to ask us???

I personally don't like the Raptor 700 either. The ergonomics just don't fit me well, and it carries its weight up high in the frame (for styling, they put the radiator way up high).

You never did define your idea of what a 'trail' is. I had a 300EX (twenty years ago), and it was a superb little trail quad, just like its bigger brother the 400EX.

As I recall, the Polaris 525 IRS has an asymetrical rear end. That is, one rear axle is longer than the other, so it tends to pull to one side under hard acceleration. No personal experience with this machine, but this seems to be something I recall being discussed. Could be wrong.

I rode a prototype 2wd Honda 'hybrid' sport quad that had the very peppy Rancher 420 engine and IRS, several years ago. It would be the perfect rough trail quad for lots of folks who don't want to ride a heavy utility, but I think the economy tanked and they never put it into production. Hope it is still in the works!

• 1 month later...

Three words...Independent Rear Suspension. This narrows it down to the Outlaw and the 700XX. I prefer the 700XX for its build quality, although I know several Outlaw owners who have mostly positive feedback to offer.

Keep in mind the trails here in New England are rough like mine fields, so IRS is a big advantage. If your trails are relatively smooth, this might not be as big a concern.

That said, IRS yields more ground clearance, and your rear tires both stay hooked up to the terrain as the suspension articulates, where a solid axle often leaves one wheel in the air as the other climbs over an obstacle. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont see why you are reluctant to a 400cc? recon ranger made a good suggestion on the 400ex however unless you get a newer model you will be lacking reverse. I reccomend a kfx400/ltz400, they have reverse, are liquid cooled Dual Overhead Cam and they are a noticable amount faster then a 400ex

I've had several Polaris Predator 500's and they are great trail quads.. Doesnt bog down at low rpm's.. They don't have reverse until the 05+ years.. But they all have electric start.. I think another great trail quad would be the 700xx.. Only downside is that they are pretty heavy compared to other quads..