Drilled slide vs clipped spring

Hey guys/gals. I just spent hours reading most (at pg 55 so far) of the needle comparison thread by mx rob. My slide is already drilled. I have a DJ kit on the way. I'm considering clipping the spring. I know rob mentioned that the combo of drilled slide plus clipped spring may produce some weird results. What's everyone doing these days? One or both? Any general feedback appreciated...

I drilled the second hole to match the first in the slide plus clipped the spring. I had no issues with the carb. The carb is in mint condition. Anyone want to buy it???

I switched to the TM40 just because everyone said it was so much better. I agree with them

Cool. Well, I just couldn't wait, so I went ahead and clipped 3 or so coils off the spring anyway. I freakin love it. The difference on stock jetting/needle is not huge, but it's noticeable. There is definately more snap there now and I found myself asking for a "stunting" ticket as I went for a ride through town, pulling short wheelies over railroad tracks and out of intersections...I cant friggin wait for my DJ kit to arrive!:smashpc:

Hey guys/gals. I just spent hours reading most (at pg 55 so far) of the needle comparison thread by mx rob. My slide is already drilled. I have a DJ kit on the way. I'm considering clipping the spring. I know rob mentioned that the combo of drilled slide plus clipped spring may produce some weird results. What's everyone doing these days? One or both? Any general feedback appreciated...

Surging is an issue with the BST in certain environmental conditions even stock. The more "responsive" you make the slide to movement the worse the problem is going to be. Testing if it works for you is cheap... you're slide is already drilled. Order another stock slide return spring... that are like 5 bucks or so. Then start clipping coils... If it sucks put the new stocker back in. I have some length/coils clipped dimensions posted in the Needle Comparison thread. Have fun! :smashpc:

lol...I just jumped in head first and clipped the spring on a whim yesterday. (3-1/2 coils) It's pretty sweet. I also received a phone call from my current/fav dealer and my jet kit has arrived so I'll be riding out there tomorrow to pick it up...even saved a few bucks over the current www pricing...I haven't been this excited since I asked for rock'em sock'em robots for xmas! LMAO!:smashpc:

Kev

lol...I just jumped in head first and clipped the spring on a whim yesterday. (3-1/2 coils) It's pretty sweet. I also received a phone call from my current/fav dealer and my jet kit has arrived so I'll be riding out there tomorrow to pick it up...even saved a few bucks over the current www pricing...I haven't been this excited since I asked for rock'em sock'em robots for xmas! LMAO!?

Kev

Getting that air box opened up, along with the appropriate jetting to handle the increased air, is the first step in making the DR650 run like a thumper should.... but you'll never achieve that goal still running the BST... first things first though. You'll like the performance increase with the open air box and jet kit. :smashpc:

.... but you'll never achieve that goal still running the BST... :smashpc:

? Yeah, I know.... Pumper carb just isn't in the budget this year. This $60 patch will hold me over for a year or two while I try to get the suspension where I want it. Good thing wifey doesn't know how much money I'm wanting to spend!:busted: What do you mean you need orthopedic shoes?! Screw that! I need springs!?