Sign in to follow this  

01 YZ 250 Suspension adjustments

Hi all, new to the site.

I read a bunch of threads but still am not 100% positive how to set my suspension.

I ride mostly MX and Trails. It is 100% stock. I am not sure what the settings are at now, but when I get home, I am going to adjust them all back to factory and go from there.

I weight 150 lbs, and am 5'8.

I am not sure what weight it is set to now, and will post photos and take measurements if need-be. I have read that my weight is not ideal for stock suspension, and right now my height does not fit the seat level (I think the guy before me adjusted the lock bolts on the rear shock to make the seat higher).

Can you guys help me adjust my suspension and sag? Also, can you help me set my rebound and preload settings as well? I would like to not spend money on this, but if I need to buy a new spring can you provide a seller and a price?

THANKS

Hi all, new to the site.

I read a bunch of threads but still am not 100% positive how to set my suspension.

I ride mostly MX and Trails. It is 100% stock. I am not sure what the settings are at now, but when I get home, I am going to adjust them all back to factory and go from there.

I weight 150 lbs, and am 5'8.

I am not sure what weight it is set to now, and will post photos and take measurements if need-be. I have read that my weight is not ideal for stock suspension, and right now my height does not fit the seat level (I think the guy before me adjusted the lock bolts on the rear shock to make the seat higher).

Can you guys help me adjust my suspension and sag? Also, can you help me set my rebound and preload settings as well? I would like to not spend money on this, but if I need to buy a new spring can you provide a seller and a price?

THANKS

No need to spend money on tuning your suspension unless you need a total rebuild and/or new springs. Clicker settings are free changes.

The fork springs should be close for your weight. Racetech specs 0.425kg/mm fork springs for your height and weight. Stock is 0.43kg/mm.

The shock spring is probably too stiff for your weight. Stock is 4.8kg/mm, racetech recommends 4.52kg/mm.

For setting sag.... put the bike on a stand so that the rear tire is off the ground. Measure from a point on your rear fender to your axle block. Record that measurement. Then put all your gear on, take the bike off the stand and sit on the bike in a normal riding position. Again, measure the distance between the spot on the fender and the axle block. Subtract the first recording by the second, and that's your sag #. For '01 Yz250's, 90-100mm is is recommended. I like 95mm, and can actually feel the difference between 90 and 110mm. Over 100mm of sag for me and the front end is way too light and twitchy. However, what works for me may not work for you, so play with it and test different settings.

If you have more sag than 100mm, you'll need to tighten down the collar on top of the rear spring (spin it clockwise).

If you have less sag than 90mm, loosen the collar by spinning it counter-clockwise.

As far as the clicker settings go, you first need to understand what compression and rebound dampers are doing. Then, it's a matter of adjusting the clickers to get the bike to feel right.

Check out the FAQ for detailed information about these topics:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=961511