Sign in to follow this  

Baja gearing on a 450

A few of us are going to do some baja 1k prerunning before we have to go pit for JCR and I want to be able to hang with the xr650's that will be with us. We plan on covering about 300-400 miles. I love the rough technical stuff but I think we're bypassing it and sticking to the boring high speed garbage. The wide ratio bikes will just be cruising right along while I'm screaming in fifth gear on the 450. Would a 1tooth larger front sprocket and a 2teeth smaller rear be too much on the transmission on these things? It's an 08 and I'm running a 13.1 piston and I'm ported so power isn't an issue, I just don't want any reliability issues. What say the TT?

That site was tits, thanks. Unfortunately the combo I was looking at doing will only get me to 88 mph. But I guess I'll run it since it should still be safe and conservative on the drivetrain.

That site was tits, thanks. Unfortunately the combo I was looking at doing will only get me to 88 mph. But I guess I'll run it since it should still be safe and conservative on the drivetrain.

I did a desert race in Nevada with 14/51 and my '09 had plenty of power. 1st

was really high for some of the really technical stuff though.

I spoke with a former Kawi pro and he said on some high speed desert races he

would run 14/45.

Thanks for the personal experience info. Yea I just don't want to be running a really high rpm for extended periods of time with my high compression piston.

I ride out in the D38 area and I have a 2011 KX 450F. We completed a ride of 300 miles pre-running the Baja 500 prior to that race too. I run 14/48 on my bike and absolutely love that gearing. I had no problems running with the 450x's that were in the group. I know of some that are running 14/46 in Baja and love that also. RPM's will be very comfortable at cruising speeds, however it will lug a little in the slower stuff, of course. You can't go wrong with 14/48 or 14/46...that's my vote! Be careful with the air filter if you are on a 2009 or newer KX...they pull a lot of air due to the cut outs and if not changed will suck some of the finer dust into the motor. Good luck and be safe!

I ride out in the D38 area and I have a 2011 KX 450F. We completed a ride of 300 miles pre-running the Baja 500 prior to that race too. I run 14/48 on my bike and absolutely love that gearing. I had no problems running with the 450x's that were in the group. I know of some that are running 14/46 in Baja and love that also. RPM's will be very comfortable at cruising speeds, however it will lug a little in the slower stuff, of course. You can't go wrong with 14/48 or 14/46...that's my vote! Be careful with the air filter if you are on a 2009 or newer KX...they pull a lot of air due to the cut outs and if not changed will suck some of the finer dust into the motor. Good luck and be safe!

Maybe he could make some sort of pre filter in the cut outs from some foam to help.:smashpc:

I have an 08 and dont have the cut outs. I'll run some filter skins though. I have no intention of riding in someone elses dust.

I have an 08 and dont have the cut outs. I'll run some filter skins though. I have no intention of riding in someone elses dust.

Then you are in first place, or left behind. The dust is where you learn.....

Then you are in first place, or left behind. The dust is where you learn.....

It's just a prerun. There's no reason to ride in someones dust if you don't have too. And that's why I wanted to know a good baja gearing, so I wouldn't get left behind.