Sign in to follow this  

CRF50 shifting issues

My son has just gotten into riding his 50 and I've been taking him to the MX track. He has no problem shifting in his tennis shoes but in his MX boots he can't shift at all. Is there anything you can do to make it easier? The boots are the right fit just too bulky for him to easily shift.

Are the boots brand new? If so have him walk around and break in the toe bend.

Also, is the problem him getting the toe under the shifter or just picking up the toe? Maybe move the shifter pedal up a notch or 2.

Mark

I agree, I bet the boots are way too stiff. There was a post here years ago suggesting soaking your boots in water first and then walking around in them for a day. Do some lunges to flex the ankles a bit. He will get the hang of riding with them in no time.

Be careful with tennis shoes not much protection at all.

Thanks for the tips. I think i will have him walk around in them for a day just to break them in before our next ride.

Thanks.

Put some boot oil on them with a hair dryer. It opens the pores of the leather. The boot oil helps soften them up when your kid is walking around in them. I also put a aftermarket shifter on our 50's. It is a little bigger, stronger, and easier for kids to use. Be careful not to get the extended one. I did that the first time. Ended up buying one that is a 1" longer, and that wasn't what I was looking for. The stock shifter had been bent so many times and straightend I could do it by hand.