DRZ400E to CRF250X?

Hey guys,

My dad's had a 2000 DRZ400E for about 8 years now. He loves the power but it's heavy, a bit tall, and don't like that there isn't a backup kickstarter. Most of our riding is trails in the woods - some tight spots, some open, lots of rocks/roots/mud/sand. He's about 5'8" 185.

There's a 2006 CRF250X at the local dealer - looks brand spankin new. No wear on the frame or anything. Aluminum radiator guards/skid plate, different rear linkage to lower it a bit, nice bars/aftermarket clamp, a few other things. Asking 3800 - probably go down a bit. The guy bought it to ride w/ his kid and his kid likes playing World of Warcraft instead apparently :smashpc:

It literally looks like it came right off the showroom floor.

Any thoughts? He's had a lot of bikes, used to race enduros back in the 70s.

Yeah way too high on the price. I got my left over brand new '09 for $4600 out the door. Mostly for the prices I found on used bikes. And I also had a DRZ400, then went to the CRF250x. Very happy in the tight stuff. Top end, not so much. Not near the same power up top. But still good and usable.

Yeah way too high on the price. I got my left over brand new '09 for $4600 out the door. Mostly for the prices I found on used bikes. And I also had a DRZ400, then went to the CRF250x. Very happy in the tight stuff. Top end, not so much. Not near the same power up top. But still good and usable.

I have 2 DRZ 400 E's, Had 3 but parting out one to make room for the Husaberg 390 FE. I raced the DRZ last year in the toughest Hare Scramble, MO HGP series and took second overall, but the Husaberg is 10 times the animal that the trusty DRZ Tank is. :smashpc:

Get a woods bike. KTM 300 EXCW or 250, are the best and the Husabeg 390 FE is the Cadalac of the 4 strokes if you can find $9,000.00. Lots of WR's and a few Honda's.

Wath these videos and see what we are racing. ?

:busted:

http://www.wfotrailriders.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=107

Yeah the price is definitely high. I could see him getting 3 or slightly above with it - it looks mint. The bike itself is great - handles like a dream and feels like a mountain bike compared to the DRZ.

The power is definitely a bit lacking compared to what we're used to - feels like it's on par w/ my modded KDX. Do these bikes wake up much with any mods or freebies?

Sure, you can wake them up with a few mods, but why are you still interested in the overpriced 6 year old 250X? There are many other options out there. First off, I wouldnt buy a mid 2000 CRF250 because of the well documented valve train issues. I think they got those straightened out in 2007. To be honest, I would avoid 250Fs all together. As mentioned, the KTM 250/300 EXC is a good option. They are much better trail bikes than the CRF...more power, better handling, and much lower maintenance. If you are set on a 250F, I would look at the KTM 250 XC-F or maybe a WR250...with a few mods to uncork the power.