Sign in to follow this  

Oregon ORV Hands On Rider Training Requirement

I regularly take trips down to the Oregon Dunes with my family. We all already have our pretty red and white cards. Starting next year the kids will also require hands-on training.

From http://www.oregon.gov/OPRD/ATV/safety.shtml

"Hands-on Rider Training

Beginning January 1, 2012, Hands-on training will also be required for youth 15 and under. There are as many as 35,000 youth that may need to be trained. Because of this, as we approach 2012, training may be hard to find. Avoid the rush and get trained now!"

Has anyone already done this for there kids? What was the cost and overall experience? Do they train on sand or in dirt? This is going to be a PITA, the dunes are 10 hour drive from where we live, and if I'm changing tires, coordinating camp spots etc. even more hassle. Given that my 2 kids that ride have racked up 200+ hours seat time already this year, it would be nice if they could just challenge a test instead of wasting a day that could be spent in the dunes.

We just held a class last Saturday at Salmon la Sac. I think we are going to do at least 1 a year. Cost is free!

By age 15 I was ridin a CR500 in the open expert class. Is there a 'test out' option? That's kind of insanity in many situations. :smashpc:

We just held a class last Saturday at Salmon la Sac. I think we are going to do at least 1 a year. Cost is free!

Is this training ASI or MSF certified? If so Oregon will recognize it, and it sounds about $150 cheaper per youth. I could also make fun weekend trip out of it.

Any details you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Is this training ASI or MSF certified? If so Oregon will recognize it, and it sounds about $150 cheaper per youth. I could also make fun weekend trip out of it.

Any details you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I will see what I can find out for you when I go in this weekend. I do know that the kids that were in the class last weekend were taking it specifically to meet Oregon's regulations.

Jeremy

seriously stupid. I got the post card a few months back. Only thing I could think was that there should be a class for those drunk teens and older to put the bottle down while riding on the dunes.

Glad we only ride private tracks and land these days. dont have to deal with the political BS. have to raise these kids to be tax payers!