Sign in to follow this  

In Baja Mexico, need some advice about a DR650

I know that something is just not quite right with my DR650, but I don't know where to look.

Two things I notice.

1. When I come to a stop for more than a brief moment (say at a stop light) and take off when the light turns green the bike will almost die. I slowly release the clutch, give it some gas, and the engine will almost cut out. I pull the clutch back in and rev it a little and then take off and it's fine.

2. It also seems that my bike is revving higher at a lower speed. I used to cruise at ~70mp and felt comfortable, now I feel that the bike's sort of over revving around 60mph.

I installed a twin air filter, changed the spark plugs, changed the oil, installed new tires, and installed a new set of sprockets/chain. I have not messed with jetting or done any airbox mods.

The only other thing I can think of is when I locktited the NSU screws I removed the clutch release arm form the clutch release pinion (I believe those are the correct names) so I could remove the side case. Perhaps when I put the clutch release arm on the clutch release pinion I did not get it tight enough. I have not noticed any difficulty in disengaging the clutch or shifting gears.

Not sure where to begin. Fuel filter? Carb? Idle Screw? Throttle or Clutch cable? Clutch Plates?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

is the sparkplug tight? has the bike been overheated that maybe a gasket is blown or compression leak?

This was happening before I changed the spark plugs. I'm pretty sure they are tight enough - I tightened it by hand and then did a half or quarter turn past that (whatever the manual recommended) with the stock tool kit. I didn't want to over tighten and strip the threads. I do not see any fuel seepage around the spark plugs.

As for overheating, I don't recollect ever doing that. How would I tell? When I changed the oil it was dirty, but not burnt or black. The old spark plugs were brown, which the manual says is correct.

Which gaskets would I check or how would I determine if there is a compression leak?

Would an incorrect valve clearance lead to this?

Thanks for response!

sounds like it could be running rich. check to make sure choke is functioning properly and check the pilot screw for correct mixture. thats where i'd start anyway.

if the bike is hard to start when cold, that's a problem of valves and yes wrong valves equal lower compression and performance are the hoses from petckock latched both? does the bike idles, i was thinking but not want to be pesimist timing chain skip teeth would definetly lead to what you say but does it backfires?

Bike Idles fine, no backfiring that I've noticed.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have a few things to check and an idea of where to start at least. :smashpc:

Stalling when cracking the throttle after idling awhile is often related to a rich idle mixture. I would try leaning the slow speed mix by screwing in the slow speed fuel valve. Strange if you have not messed with the jetting or idle mix.

It sounds like your clutch may be slipping. It it is you will burn-up the clutch in no time. Try adjusting it, there needs to be some free-play or slack before the lever is all the way out.

Bruce

Stalling when cracking the throttle after idling awhile is often related to a rich idle mixture. I would try leaning the slow speed mix by screwing in the slow speed fuel valve. Strange if you have not messed with the jetting or idle mix.

It sounds like your clutch may be slipping. It it is you will burn-up the clutch in no time. Try adjusting it, there needs to be some free-play or slack before the lever is all the way out.

Bruce

I'm almost certain it is not the clutch. The way I was told to test that was to get some speed in 5th gear, pull in the clutch (engine would rev up) release the clutch, and if the engine immediately revs down the clutch is good.

Thanks for the advice, I definitely have several things to tinker around with now. :smashpc:

Check the vaccum connection on the top of the carb, the one that goes from the petcock to the carb. I had mine come off and it sounds like the same symptoms.

Tom

How much play is there in your clutch lever? There should some play. If its too tight it will start to disengage the clutch, sometimes not until the bike is fully warmed up. This happened to me after I did my NSU screws.

hey what about the new set of sprockets are they the same size as old ones? if not that's the answer to more revs at 60 mph, also sometimes the clutch cable stretches by snaping some of it treads that will make it not engage and desengage properly till finnaly snaps completely