Sign in to follow this  

Tail light wiring help?

I got this Polisport taillight/brake light and a mechanical brake switch, NEITHER ONE came with any instructions, wiring diagram, or any kind of anything at all.... just the parts in the bag :smashpc:

What i have is a power line to light up a taillight from my TrailTech handlebar switch, all ready to go.

the tail light has red, black and yellow

and the mechanical brake has 2 black wires,

WHAT GOES TO WHAT?

i find it unreal that they dont at least tell you what wire is what.

thanks, what i want to do is hook up this taillight and have it work as a brake light as well, the bike right now has no taillight or brake light, but i do have a power line ready for it.

polisporttaillight.jpg

I think you need to split the single power line. Run one part of it to the taillight (likely the yellow) and the second part to the brake switch. Then out of the brake switch to the other taillight connection (likely red). The black on the taillight is 'probably' the ground. You should be able to use a 9v battery between the ground and each of the red and yellow wires to check which wire is which.

The only question is whether the output from the TrailTech circuit supplies enough current to power both bulbs, but I would expect that it would.

(disclaimer: I've never used this taillight, so I'm just speculating based on my electrical knowledge)

I think you need to split the single power line. Run one part of it to the taillight (likely the yellow) and the second part to the brake switch. Then out of the brake switch to the other taillight connection (likely red). The black on the taillight is 'probably' the ground. You should be able to use a 9v battery between the ground and each of the red and yellow wires to check which wire is which.

The only question is whether the output from the TrailTech circuit supplies enough current to power both bulbs, but I would expect that it would.

(disclaimer: I've never used this taillight, so I'm just speculating based on my electrical knowledge)

You are %100 percent correct, thank you, i messed around and figured it out, was just worried that i might hook up power to the ground and burn out the bulbs before i install it, lol

thanks again. :smashpc:

The black leads on the switch plug in between either the red or yellow wire. Just hook up the juice and figure out which lead has the brighter bulb, and use that as your brake light. My guess is that it's going to be the yellow wire.

The black is the ground. You can always replace the mechanical switch for a pressure activated banjo bolt so there's no need to mount up a switch.

You are %100 percent correct, thank you, i messed around and figured it out, was just worried that i might hook up power to the ground and burn out the bulbs before i install it, lol

thanks again. :smashpc:

Glad you got it working properly!

You're very welcome.