Sign in to follow this  

Enduro Race Diet

I will be entering a two-day, intense (+6 hour per day) enduro this weekend and have a couple question about what to eat during the race.

Usually the night before I will load up on carbs (pasta, etc).

Race morning I will usually have yogurt, orange jiuce, bananas, bagle and an egg McMuffin with two hashbrowns (for potassium)

Just before the race I will try one of those energy drinks (they work for me) and maybe a Gatorade if its really hot.

I carry water in my Camelback. At gas stops, I will eat another banana, and down a Gatorade. Later in ther race I will also have a high-protein sports bar. Some have said that in the later stages of the race, protein is not required, just keep loading up on carbs.

My question: Is the high protein bars a good idea later in the race (hours 4, 5 6) or should I stick to something like a Cliff bar?

My combo has worked for me, but I am always looking for ways to keep my performance up during the race.

Try to find some GU gels or Clif energy chews, quick carbs and easy on the gut. I use the banana/bagel routine before HS. Camelback elixir in the bladder and it works awesome, way better than straight water. Clif bars are good, but rough on the stomach for me during a race. I prefer a plain bagel at the restart/gas stop.

+1 on the gu gel/gu brew. Gatorade/powerade etc... are junk. I was actually asking my buddy, who competes in full triathelons what he drinks to stay hydrated and he told me about the gu brew.

MAX!!!