AM workouts w/cardio....2PM crash

I am 54 years old, 5"8" and 160 Lbs

3 weeks ago: Quit caffeine & cigarettes and started working out.

3 days a week-MWF - Cardio for 45 minutes and lifting weights

other 3 days-TTS - Cardio for 60 minutes

It all started when I started working out - every day I am crashing about 2pm and its difficult to keep my head from bouncing off the desk while im trying to work. granted the work that i am presently doing is not the most exciting.

I am eating only healthy foods and six times a day and plenty of water

What can I do to stay alert and not crash in the afternoon?

Sorry dont have an answer for you but CONGRATULATIONS on improving your health. My guess is that your body simply isnt used to the work you're putting in and will take some time to adjust. It is probably used to a caffine or nicotine jump start and it will take time to adjust to your new lifestyle. Have you tried some fresh fruit or maybe a smoothie??

Stay with it!

^ yes its great you jumped right in! but 6 days a week is to much at first plus were not that young anymore. you are overtraining not good. 3 days a week at this point is fine plus it will most likely keep you going. 6 days a week and your bound to throw the towel in. try this with your cardio workout. only go as hard as you can while breathing threw your nose at all times. it will take some time to build up to an intense work out but it is very important. it will keep you from getting adreanal fatigue. keep me posted on how you are making out.

Get some rest. Back off to every other day. 0 to 60 in 3.5 doesn't work at our age, slow and steady wins the race now my friend...................... Oh and a little caffine won't kill you unless you've gone to the dark side. I find that the 2 pm cup o Joe is great for keeping your head off the desk and even getting the lawn mowed when you get home.

No one has asked how much sleep you're getting. Low testosterone will do that to you as well. If you're sleeping well and you're older, testosterone is probably the culprit. If you wake up not feeling rested, you may not be sleeping deep enough due to snoring or other breathing issue. That will get better as you get more fit. I don't think you're routine is too much at all otherwise.

You say you're eating healthy foods and 6 times a day. Everyone has their opinion on what "healthy foods" are. If your energy is lacking, increase your fiber and protein intake. You can also use B-12 sublingual drops in the early afternoon as well. I'd also suggest green or black tea, but those would have caffeine...

I'd also back off on the 60 minute cardio days and go for 30 minutes instead.

No one has asked how much sleep you're getting. Low testosterone will do that to you as well. If you're sleeping well and you're older, testosterone is probably the culprit. If you wake up not feeling rested, you may not be sleeping deep enough due to snoring or other breathing issue. That will get better as you get more fit. I don't think you're routine is too much at all otherwise.

Try and get your doc to do anything about low T, what a joke. Your numbers fall in the acceptable range. Just what if I need to be at the high end to feel good ? Um o well um they are good............................ Get more rest.

Thyroid to....

thanks for all the input

I just don't see the point in lowering the cardio to 30 min when one hare scramble race is 2.5 hours. This is while holding onto a CR250 2T.

I worked my way up to 60 minutes and I can still breath thru my nose.

I went out today and picked up centra silver and protein mix.

my sleeping was not that great after I started all this (3-4 hours). its getting better now.

I just saw my Doc and he says to keep on doing what I'm doing and says my body will need to adjust to the life style.

do yourself a favor throw away the centrum and buy a better quality vitamin. they use synthetics like the vitamin e. not only does it not work they are bad for you. thats good that you can do the 60 min breathing threw the nose,now you can pick it up and when you feel you have to take a breath just slow it down a bit.

do yourself a favor throw away the centrum and buy a better quality vitamin. they use synthetics like the vitamin e. not only does it not work they are bad for you. thats good that you can do the 60 min breathing threw the nose,now you can pick it up and when you feel you have to take a breath just slow it down a bit.

Whats a good vitamin?

my sleeping was not that great after I started all this (3-4 hours). Hmmm I tink this is your biggest issue. I get 8 and still have my head on the desk at 2:00. Maybe staying off caffine is also a good idea to see if you can get some more zzzz's. I wish I could function on 3-4 hrs. Good luck and keep us posted, those hare scrambles are hell.

I am 54 years old, 5"8" and 160 Lbs

3 weeks ago: Quit caffeine & cigarettes and started working out.

3 days a week-MWF - Cardio for 45 minutes and lifting weights

other 3 days-TTS - Cardio for 60 minutes

It all started when I started working out - every day I am crashing about 2pm and its difficult to keep my head from bouncing off the desk while im trying to work. granted the work that i am presently doing is not the most exciting.

I am eating only healthy foods and six times a day and plenty of water

What can I do to stay alert and not crash in the afternoon?

Why are you eating 6 times a day? There is no scientific evidence to show that it helps with anything. What is a "healthy" diet? That means different things to different people. I guarantee if you cut out excessive carbs and sugars, stay below 100 grams a day, you will see a big increase in energy throughout the day.

thanks for all the input

I just don't see the point in lowering the cardio to 30 min when one hare scramble race is 2.5 hours. This is while holding onto a CR250 2T.

I worked my way up to 60 minutes and I can still breath thru my nose.

I went out today and picked up centra silver and protein mix.

my sleeping was not that great after I started all this (3-4 hours). its getting better now.

I just saw my Doc and he says to keep on doing what I'm doing and says my body will need to adjust to the life style.

If you are not getting at least 6-7 hours of sleep a night, do not lift in the gym. All you will be doing is tearing yourself down and not allowing you body it's repair cycle.

While you don't have the best training routine (I'd recommend a 3 days on, 1 day off routine), I'd say your diet is you problem. Look into getting more fat into your diet and some fruit if you're limiting those. Also, your post workout nutrition can play a big role in energy levels as the day progresses.

Your boring job probably doesn't help either. If you sit a lot at work, try to get up and walk around, do some air squats or something to get the blood flowing again. When I had class for 7 hours straight, I always struggled with the sandman. Found that to be the best cure. I'd roll out my legs, stretch, etc... Not only does it keep you awake, but it helps with recovery as well.

My diet consist of:

6am - 1 serving of oatmeal and 2 hard boiled eggs

7am - cardio or cardio with weights

and protein mix after

10am 1/2 ham&cheese sandwich, yogurt or plumbs or fruit

12 noon - 1/2 ham&Cheese sandwich, yogurt or fruit

3pm - yogurt or fruit

7pm - whatever my wife cooks, usually meat and veggies

water throughout the day

I don't like sugar or salt, so its no problem staying away from that

How can I improve the diet??

Yea, if you're working out at 7 and going all the way until dinner until you get a proper meal, then you'll def be dragging ace.

Get some carbs in after that workout along with the protein. Then try to get in another serving of something within an hour or so. No need to break that sandwich up into two, the nutritional values aren't substantial enough to where they need to be stretched out. Then snack on some nuts in-between your lunch and dinner.

Personally, if at all possible I'd do a change to your program. 6 am wake up. Throw down a piece of fruit or go empty (have to experiment to see which works best for you). Go to gym. Return home. Protein shake. Shower. Few eggs and maybe a piece of bacon or something of the sort. Around 10ish do the oatmeal. Work, stretch, be responsible. Around 1 eat your sammich and side. Around 4 scarf down some nuts of choice. Almonds, walnuts, pecans, etc.... Then dinner at 7.

With more info on your schedule, I could dial that in better with times and if willing to eat different things, could sub out some of your meals with other foods.