Sign in to follow this  

Bigger tanks and spark plug access ?

Ok, I am getting the itch to order a 4 gallon Clarke or IMS tank for my 650L.

Any issues accessing the spark plug on these larger tanks with the molded wings? I pop one off on the stock tank to make reaching the plug easier.

Can you reach it without having to remove the tank??

Also please opine on IMS or Clarke. They are close in price and if one is better than the other that's what I want to hear.

Any issues accessing the spark plug on these larger tanks with the molded wings? I pop one off on the stock tank to make reaching the plug easier.

Also please opine on IMS or Clarke. They are close in price and if one is better than the other that's what I want to hear.

I have a Clarke, 4.7-gallon fuel tank installed on my XR650L. I don't have any problems changing the spark plug with the large Clarke tank installed. :smashpc:

I have installed Clarke fuel tanks on both my motorcycles, and I like the Clarke tanks very much. 👍 However, I am unfamiliar with the IMS fuel tanks.

Spud :busted:

Like my Clarke 4.7 just fine! Over 200 miles per tank is eeeezy! Even when some of that is commuting. 8p

I've got the Clarke 4.0 and have not had any problems. Lots of get-offs and a few hard crashes and it has held up fine. No issues getting to the spark plug either.

I have a 4 gal IMS tank, and have no problems except for the gas cap gasket wearing out and leaking, which i think happens eventually with both brands.

Hate to admit but cant remember when the plug was out last? Runs so well why bother? How often do you guys mess with plug? ( besides jetting & burping after submarining)

Hate to admit but cant remember when the plug was out last? Runs so well why bother? How often do you guys mess with plug? ( besides jetting & burping after submarining)

I used to change mine once a year (every spring) on my xr600R, will probably do the same with the XR650L.....

The owner's manual says to inspect the spark plug every 4,000 miles, and replace the spark plug every 8,000 miles.🤣 My bike was running great, so I must admit I forgot to check the spark plug. :smashpc: Therefore, I just replaced my spark plug after 16,000 miles. 👍

Spud :busted:

I found that my spark plug gets loose in the head after a couple of thousand miles. I discovered this when I was doing other work on the bike and decided to check the plug while I had the tank off. This has happened to me three times in the last 10,00 miles, so I don't think it's a "fluke" kinda thing (I always tighten the plug down adequately when I have it out).

I think these big thumpers need to have the plug checked at least once per season to make sure they're tight. The vibrations from the thumping seems to cause them to loosen up over time.

:smashpc:

I found that my spark plug gets loose in the head after a couple of thousand miles. I discovered this when I was doing other work on the bike and decided to check the plug while I had the tank off. This has happened to me three times in the last 10,00 miles, so I don't think it's a "fluke" kinda thing (I always tighten the plug down adequately when I have it out).

I think these big thumpers need to have the plug checked at least once per season to make sure they're tight. The vibrations from the thumping seems to cause them to loosen up over time.

👍

mine has done the same thing but I was stupid and decided I would go for a ride even though my bike started hard just to find out when I got back that my plug was loose, which is why it was hard starting, so I did the whole ride with a loose plug :smashpc::busted:🤣 I hope I have learned something from this...If the bike is hard starting, something is wrong...find the problem first no matter how much you just want to go ride.

P.S. I am also sporting the Clarke 4.7 but I have no input on spark plug access, I think I usually have the tank off for other stuff anytime I decide to pull the plug out.