Sign in to follow this  

Can you drive with your tailgate down in Texas?

Hi guys!! I'll be moving a couple dirtbikes pretty soon in TX but I'm worried about the shortbed in my Ranger, any Texan out there knows if I can drive it with the tailgate down? Thanks!

Heck, here in Mexico I couldn't drive my truck 2 blocks with the tailgate down without being stopped if I don't have any "sign" or red rag hanging from the rear of one of the bikes... Will be doing that in Texas soon, so...

I am not sure if it is legal or not but I do it when transporting my bike.

I have been doing it for many years and have never had a problem here in Houston or elsewhere in the state.

What part of Texas are you headed for?

LOLOL. In NY i've never been hassled about my gate down when having two or more bike sin my bed. WHen I was down in Dallas (we are talking about the state where citizens wanted to basically succeed from the state when the thought of a DWAI was mentioned, and where its legal for a HUMAN BEING OVER the age of 16 to ride in the bed of a truck LOL) you should be A ok there brotha!

I am not sure if it is legal or not but I do it when transporting my bike.

I have been doing it for many years and have never had a problem here in Houston or elsewhere in the state.

What part of Texas are you headed for?

COOL!, in McAllen (close to the border)... But with Mexican plates, hehehe, that'll be interesting right? hehe..

i don't have a problem with the tail gate being down up here in MA and they try to bust you for everything they can up here.

it is also legal for someone over 18 to ride in the bed of a pickup in maine. at least that's what the bicycle cop that pulled me over said. :smashpc:

COOL!, in McAllen (close to the border)... But with Mexican plates, hehehe, that'll be interesting right? hehe..

Take your plates off, throw some shovels and yard tools in with your bikes and you'll be completely immune from law enforcement if you even vaguely look Hispanic.

Take your plates off, throw some shovels and yard tools in with your bikes and you'll be completely immune from law enforcement if you even vaguely look Hispanic.

Hehehe, I may look hispanic but the plates are the truck's the bikes are all dirt!

But hey! that's a really good POV!

Don't know about Texas but CA is 4 feet, I think Ohio is 3 feet before you need to attach a red flag. Tailgate should be ok.

Don't know about Texas but CA is 4 feet, I think Ohio is 3 feet before you need to attach a red flag. Tailgate should be ok.

Meaning that the extra long cargo sticks out 3 or 4 feet from the trucks bed? I think that if Cali has that law, it should be the same for TX in the worst case scenario right?

See Mex plates all the time, usually the plated truck is towing 2 or 3 vehicles strung together with tow bars, headed for the border.

dude i live in NJ, probably the most outlandish, law strickin' strict and smug pieces of shit on the entire planet. and i drive with my bike in the back of my ford ranger all the time with the tailgate down. you wont have a problem in texas. and if u do have a problem, put the bike in crooked and u can close the tailgate, ive done that befor too. front tire stuffed in the front right corner and back tire stuffed in the back left corner or vice versa.

Heck yeah!! just a little bit of feedback, I started with some furniture, had the Ranger loaded up pretty good with the tailgate down and just to be safe I strapped a red rag to the back of the tailgate... No problems at all! Thanks for all for your help guys!

:smashpc: