Sign in to follow this  

KLX300 Dust shields

I recently bought a 2001 klx300. the guy i bought it from said it had been sitting awhile, but it still ran fine. so within the first hour of riding, i noticed the forks had some oil on them. so i am now in the process of replacing the fork seals. I bought the oil seals, and some 7W oil, but i didn't get any dust shields. I plan on going riding this Sunday, and I need to know if i should also replace the dust shields......It is too late for me to order some, so are there any yamaha dust shirlds that are compatiable?

And Also, the bike doesn't have any fork guards. Will this be fine or should i buy some fork guards?

Well, from the scapping against obstacles in tight spaces and falling over in rocks, I rate my fork guards as well worth having. The lowers on these USD forks are fairly exposed to damage issues without guards. They won't guarantee against damage, but I think they go a long way for protection. Also, the OEM guards are kind of expensive and get brittle fairly quickly. I like the UFO guards a lot better. They're made of material more akin to fender plastic and aren't as prone to cracking. I think they look better too, just strictly from a cosmetic angle...and they're inexpensive.

I would get those forks covered up. They are highly exposed and any little pit or ding will take out the seals. I have stock plastic guards and and full length seal savers on my forks. I get into some pretty nasty stuff and have not had any issues with this setup.

I cannot find and UFO fork guards specific to the KLX300. Are you modifying a different application to fit ?

I would get those forks covered up. They are highly exposed and any little pit or ding will take out the seals. I have stock plastic guards and and full length seal savers on my forks. I get into some pretty nasty stuff and have not had any issues with this setup.

I cannot find and UFO fork guards specific to the KLX300. Are you modifying a different application to fit ?

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. They fit an older KX. I took a pic of the guards in their bag, and the only thing I can read from the pic is part # 116244. I don't know if that's a Parts Unlimited, Tucker/Rocky, or UFO number. Quite a few of us on the Kawasaki Forum have used them with great success. You do have to drill a hole in the plastic for one leg, but that's easily done.

Well being that I am full out broke right now, I decided to make my own fork guards. So far I haven't had in problems. They are in no means permanent, but they will hold up for a good bit