Sign in to follow this  

Can a bigger guy be happy on a 125cc 2-stroke? Same size as a 250?

I am thinking of getting a 125 2-stroke for "fun". Please steer me toward buying, or pursuade against it (based on actual experience of a heavier guy)

I am 6'1" and 200lbs, and aware of the power limitations. No bottom end and you gotta carry momentum. But I am more interested in chassis/suspension and if it "can" actually work, or is it simply a smaller guy's bike.

I am heavily leaning YZ or kTm.

xxxxxx

Here's what I think I know the only differences are (besides motor/tranny obviously)..........

1. rear tire is a 100/xx

2. suspension springs are lighter

Here is what I am unsure of.......

1. Are they the same frame?

2. Is the cockpit smaller?

3. Ride height lower?

I saw a guy at the track who brought his yz125 as an extra bike just to mix it up. Seemed like a cool idea, but wonder if it's even worth it. Appreciate any comments. Thanks!!

yes!!!!!!!!!!! You will have loads of fun and it will be a nice change from the 450... a 125 will carry you no problem, maybe stiffer springs and that is all. Ring the living daylights out a 125 and enjoy! Dimensions are similar to any other big bike, the biggest difference that you will notice is the lighter weight. A primary bike at your size, maybe not... but a secondary bike, yes. Lots of bigger guys ride 125's.

• Like 1

200 pounds is hardly "big". I weigh 280. I ride with a 325 lb person with a YZ125 - no problems with wheelies, small trail jumps, cornering, etc. If you have the competency to use the power band right, and either respring or crank the preload up, you will have no problems.

• Like 1

Would avoid for techinical difficult trails where elevation is involved. For all else it'd be a nice ride. Suggest you buy as cheap as possible as it will be tough to sell it later.

52 years old, 200 lbs, and my funnest bike is my 08 Husky CR144 (was 125). I won't talk you out of getting a 125 as they are just to much FUN. Look for a Husky and have some fun.

• Like 1

Wow. Surprised at all the positive feedback. I woulda thought that you would be steering me away. Hmmm.

Now the kTm 150sx I rode and loved, but '08 '09 is the oldest and still a lot of coin, so I am leaning for a cheaper yz125. Not interested in punching out to a 144 either, again, keeping it cheap as a 2nd bike.

So...when you are sitting on the bike, is it as if you are sitting on a 250? I don't wanna be crampped. So frame is the same? It's been a while and I don't know anyone with a 125 to even sit on.

Great input folks. Keep it coming!! I'm getting stoked.

BTW...I owned a yz125 10 years ago and it was pretty much pinned!!!! That's what I miss. It feels like you're going faster than you really are :smashpc:.

• Like 2

Panicrev,I'm 230 with full gear and rode a 2005 kx 125 and I can honestly say the bike was flat out fun to ride,easy to handle and pitch around the track,but after riding my friends same year kx 250 I had to have one.Anyway,the 250 just felt a little more solid and carried me better as I did'nt have to dog her so hard.Keep digging,take your time and you will make the right choice.good day to ya.

Wow. Surprised at all the positive feedback. I woulda thought that you would be steering me away. Hmmm.

Now the kTm 150sx I rode and loved, but '08 '09 is the oldest and still a lot of coin, so I am leaning for a cheaper yz125. Not interested in punching out to a 144 either, again, keeping it cheap as a 2nd bike.

So...when you are sitting on the bike, is it as if you are sitting on a 250? I don't wanna be crampped. So frame is the same? It's been a while and I don't know anyone with a 125 to even sit on.

Great input folks. Keep it coming!! I'm getting stoked.

BTW...I owned a yz125 10 years ago and it was pretty much pinned!!!! That's what I miss. It feels like you're going faster than you really are 👍.

You may need some taller bars but should fit just fine. You get out there and get to hustleing that 125 around you'll be under 200lb in no time you will have to work to go fast.:smashpc:

• Like 1

I'm 5'11" 220lbs and I went from a 07 RMZ450 to a 02 YZ125 and I've never had more fun on a dirtbike than I am now. Plus 2 more of my buddies picked up 125's and it makes for some awesome bar banging.

• Like 1

On a newer model steel frame RM suzuki........the engine cradle frame work is different....but the backbone, steering tube, and rear suspension/swingarm connection area ...are pretty much the same.

Areas with technical sections (steep climbs) will have limits on what you can do safely.

>^..^<

From the few 125s I've ridden they just seem smaller. I'm 6'2".

Edited by shrubitup

Not on the Huskys. My 08 CR 144 Husky is larger than 250/450's. You really need some long legs for these bikes. I agree that the 125's from J.apan are tighter/less roomy. Trust me everybody that rides my 144 states how tall the bike is.

I have a YZ250 and I've ridden a few different 125s-a YZ, a 125SX, and a KX125. The rider compartment seemed the same size to me on all of them. The only major difference in ergonomics is that on a ktm it feels like you need to sit up on the tank and put more weight on the front end. All of these 125s were older than mine also. Probably all three were 02s, and my 250 is an 06.

They also have plenty of power if you know how to make use of it. I rode lots of pretty gnarly stuff in WV on a KX100 when I was 15 and had lots of momentum-keeping and clutch-slipping fun with no trouble.

Yz ride height is the tallest there is I'm 6 2 and had 05 it was great seat height I believe was 39in I have an 02 rm250 now and the seats not as tall

I was asking this same question last year, 6'1" 240. Found a sweet deal on a 05 cr125. Afraid it wouldn't be enough in the woods-dead wrong. Yeah sand can pull it down but other than that and no real "power wheelies" from down low, I loved it. I was just as fast in the tight stuff as I was on any of my past bigger bikes. All that said I just traded it for a 04 Husky 250. Different world but both are great and I must admit the torque wheelies are nice to get back to.

YZ 125 and YZ 250 have pretty much the same ergos so I wouldnt worry about that! As for the limitations, on a track, less so, but on the trail, 125s can be a PITA. I am a expert rider/racer, 6ft and 211lbs and I have a YZ 125 and trust me, I know how to ride a 125 and though in certain situations they can be fun, they ARE NOT faster. Unless you can hold the bike pinned all the time, you will lose time in a few places especially coming out of corners and on long twisty, rutted hill climbs. When they fall off the pipe, and they will, they can be a real bitch to get going again! You can kill the clutch on one hill if you really abuse it. This can really kill the fun factor. Do I recommend owning one as a second bike, hell ya, but as your only bike, there is no way I would do it. There limitations are too great. I have a YZ 250 2t and YZ 250f also and the 125 is good for skill honing but for your one and only bike, I wouldnt recommend it. Also to add, a 144 kit isnt going to turn it into a "miracle" bike. It will still have somewhat of the same power characteristics just a little more. Just my opinion

great choice for a backup bike there really is not much more fun than hauling butt on a 125. they are more than capable bikes if you are a good rider its a ton more work but it can be done.

YZ 125 and YZ 250 have pretty much the same ergos so I wouldnt worry about that! As for the limitations, on a track, less so, but on the trail, 125s can be a PITA. I am a expert rider/racer, 6ft and 211lbs and I have a YZ 125 and trust me, I know how to ride a 125 and though in certain situations they can be fun, they ARE NOT faster. Unless you can hold the bike pinned all the time, you will lose time in a few places especially coming out of corners and on long twisty, rutted hill climbs. When they fall off the pipe, and they will, they can be a real bitch to get going again! You can kill the clutch on one hill if you really abuse it. This can really kill the fun factor. Do I recommend owning one as a second bike, hell ya, but as your only bike, there is no way I would do it. There limitations are too great. I have a YZ 250 2t and YZ 250f also and the 125 is good for skill honing but for your one and only bike, I wouldnt recommend it. Also to add, a 144 kit isnt going to turn it into a "miracle" bike. It will still have somewhat of the same power characteristics just a little more. Just my opinion

+1...Exactly. I have been saying this for a while now. While Im not an expert level rider...or even close to expert...I have ridden long enough (26 years) to understand that a 125 MX bike is NOT an ideal trail bike...period. I just dont understand why people recommend 125s to beginners all of the time on this forum. The lack of low end power will get you in trouble unless you are a very good rider.