Sign in to follow this  

Vortex CDI

Anyone have any experience with these? I see they list one for 03-04 RM250. Not a cheap mod at over $500 but it quirks my interest :smashpc:

It would be nice to have a nice aggresive woods map, and with a flick of a switch on the handlebar, a soft KTM 👍 type map for when hung up in the nastys.

Then a race gas super aggresive map for the MX track :busted:

Well this one really intrigued me so I went for it. Ending up getting the last one for a RM made. So if I end up liking it you guys are SOL :smashpc:

Talking to Mike at MTracing he seemed to really know what he was talking about and sold me on the Vortex. He said the 03-04 RM CDI was developed with Team Suzuki with Josh Strang onboard. Best power map is supposed to give 1.5 - 2hp and a 10% broader powerband. He does plenty of stuff with the offroad guys as well, Whibley, Duvall, etc and said the traction curves would be right up my alley.

It was an expensive chance but IMO it could make the perfect all around bike. We will see 👍

i have a Dyna FS ignition on my 99 rm250.

my stock CDI went out and the Dyna was the only one that i was able to find. Unlike your vortex i dont think its programable, but it does come with 4 selectable maps.

map 1 is stock

map 2 is more advance in higher rpms only ( not sure how many degrees)

map 3 is more advance everywhere (again not sure how many degrees)

map 4 is a retarded map that basically kills the powerband and makes it very 4 stroke like.

I usually run the bike on the stock map or the top end map. I am still able to run pump gas also. I havent really ridden with the other maps so i cant comment on them.

The difference is amazing. when i run the topend map the bike hits so hard and pulls forever compared to stock. it does make it a bit harder to ride tho.

Have fun with the Vortex, I really want to get one for my DRZ. its pretty cool what an ignition can do for a bike.

Well I'm excited, hopefully have it in my hands by Friday...

Looking forward to hear your report:thumbsup:

Well got it today. Comes with a complete new wiring harness. Installed tonight and bike fired up.

Now tomorrow for some map testing :smashpc:

Well just did some quick runs on the property here. Some 2nd to 4th gear slick hill pulls and a little messing around on some tech stuff ( I have a few Endurocross obstacles in the yard)

All I can say is wow, just what the doctor ordered 👍

Just tryed 3 maps so far.

Map 1 there best performance map- similar to stock. a little smoother and stronger everywere, wider powerband, not a huge performance increase first impressions

Map 2 first traction map- wow, I don't know if you could spin the tire. It's like it comes half on the pipe right off the bottom, but never really gets fully on

Map 5 linear power- There's 2 of these, could be my go to map rather than the traction setting. Smooth strong power bottom to top, no hit.

The difference between the maps is astounding. 10 possible maps, so lots of testing yet to do, but so far I'm really stoked with this product :smashpc:

Well had a quick run thjrough the maps today.

The other 2 traction maps get progressively more aggresive.

Ditto with the other linear map, a little more aggresive.

The 3 other performance maps are really cool.

Supercross (low end) map was insane. Super agressive and strong off the bottom, but still a smooth feel. Fun as hell map but certainly MX only, wheelspin is a real issue. Good map I'd say to have on the switch for the MX track for big jumps out of tight corners.

Second map favoured mid range and the third top end. Top end map was fun as well. Certainly moved the curve up.

Well had a quick run thjrough the maps today.

The other 2 traction maps get progressively more aggresive.

Ditto with the other linear map, a little more aggresive.

The 3 other performance maps are really cool.

Supercross (low end) map was insane. Super agressive and strong off the bottom, but still a smooth feel. Fun as hell map but certainly MX only, wheelspin is a real issue. Good map I'd say to have on the switch for the MX track for big jumps out of tight corners.

Second map favoured mid range and the third top end. Top end map was fun as well. Certainly moved the curve up.

:banana:Sounds like a bunch of added fun/options:thumbsup:

Got to do some testing at the MX track today, last day the track is open this year 👍

Tried 3 maps, best overall performance map (1), Sx and top end.

Track was slick with mud and pretty rough.

Sx map was a handfull with these conditions, and it looses some top end

Top end map was good but had to use a little too much clutch.

Which left me going back to there top performance map all the time. There are some gains here over stock. Came on pipe a little earlier, stayed on a little longer and was a little stronger. A couple jumps I used to really have to wring on it after a tight spot to clear came with more ease, I had some power to spare. I would say they are pretty accurate claiming I would get 1-2hp gain and a 10% wider powerband. It also deals with the TPS issue on this carb and gives cleaner running at low steady throttle.

Not saying I would go out and buy this just for the performance increase, but if you want a choice of different power deliveries it's a great product IMO :smashpc: