Sign in to follow this  

Is 93 octane really necessary??

My bike runs awesome On 87 octane and everyone says it kills these small motors to use 87 octane and I should shellout an extra dollar a gallon for the 93. Does it really matter that much bc 93 would most likely wear out pistons (slightly) faster due to the larger cumbustions....Jw your opinions so let me know

Octane # is just fuels resistance to detonation, but besides that they burn exactly the same, so it is not going to wear pistons out any faster.

But detonation sure will.

I'm amazed you are running 87 without major detonation, mine detonates under load on 91. Have you looked at your head/ piston to make sure you are not getting detonation.

No signs of small "craters" showing detonation, nor Is there a black carbony finish on my last piston. Ive been running a namura so it's a little lower compression than a wiseco... Also it's only a 125 that I can start by hand if it's warm. Also my piston only had one ring so I'm asumming these are pretty low comp. Motors???

The compression and timing is set from the factory to take 91 with no detonation. Rich jetting, retarded timing or lower compression would lower this number.

But if your piston looks fine on 87 then you're good.

How many gallons do you burn a yr? Is a $1 more that much to pay for protection?

Myself I run a mix of Avgas and non ethanol 91.