Sign in to follow this  

bad rod bearing help, 03 250sx

I have never had to replace rod bearings, where is the best priced/ quality place to have the crank pressed apart and rod replaced?

Also would riding with the rod bearing going bad cause piston slap and worn piston and nikasil?

I have never had to replace rod bearings, where is the best priced/ quality place to have the crank pressed apart and rod replaced?

Also would riding with the rod bearing going bad cause piston slap and worn piston and nikasil?

I would highly reccomend Andrew Cooksey, one of the nicest and most honest guys you'll ever meet. He just rebuilt my entire motor and was very forthcoming with what did and did not need replacement. Prices are great too. He lists 125-300 KTM crank rebuilds at $165 including a Pro X rod kit.

Here is a video he sent to me of my crank after the rebuild.

http://s1188.photobucket.com/albums/z407/andrewgc1/TK%20200%20engine%20build/?action=view&current=TK200crankassembly003.mp4

I would have had Andrew do the bottom end job on my 05 200 if I hadn't found a local mechanic that does excellent work.

+1 for Andrew if you don't have anyone local.

Great guy, reasonable, and easy to get along with.

Just a quick note Andrew is on vacation until the 25th so it may take a few days for him to get back to you. Can you believe Andrew shipped my motor back to me before he recieved payment? Stand up guy he is.

Your going to want to do new seals and gaskets while you are in there. Add one more for Andrew, great guy! If you are new to splitting the cases and looking at bearings you may want to send the whole engine to Andrew. He can look at it and tell you what is good and what is bad. That engine is old enough I would bet there are bearings that need to be replaced.

Joe......

Your going to want to do new seals and gaskets while you are in there. Add one more for Andrew, great guy! If you are new to splitting the cases and looking at bearings you may want to send the whole engine to Andrew. He can look at it and tell you what is good and what is bad. That engine is old enough I would bet there are bearings that need to be replaced.

Joe......

Ya planning on gaskets and seals, not new to splitting cases, only found 1 rough bearing!

Ya planning on gaskets and seals, not new to splitting cases, only found 1 rough bearing!

Nice! What bearing? One of the mains?

Joe.........

What iwould call the countershaft bearing. Not sure the actual name. Its not rough its completely seized. I also found a tranny gear with a broken tooth, I think part of the tooth made its way into the bearing.

Completely forgot about this. If anyone has the gear or the whole set I am intrested in buying

IMG_20111016_205815.jpg

Its the far left gear, you can see the chip in the tooth on the top.

1+++++ for Andrew Cooksey! He is rebuilding my 150 right now . Great guy, very nice also I have heard a lot of good things about him. I cant wait to get the bike running again.