Sign in to follow this  

SM spoked wheels v SM cast wheels

I'm going to buy a set of SM wheels, and was wondering what benefits, if any, are there from using one type of wheel to the other? Are they heavier/lighter?

I'm not too concerned about the speedo, I can use my GPS and then fit a Trailtech Vapor.

Spoked wheels generally require a tube which adds weight and complications for puncture repair because the tube needs to be removed to be patched or replaced. Cast wheels run the tires without a tube, so puncture repair requires only a plug, which can be applied with the tire still on the wheel.

Spoked wheels can flex more than cast wheel which makes them preferable to people who ride over uneven terrain, logs, rocks, curbs, etc. A spoked wheel is more likely to bend at a hard hit whereas a cast wheel will more likely crack.

The tire choices are the same between spoked and cast wheels with the same rim widths. You can use a tubeless capable tire with or without a tube.

I'm not sure about weight.

Cast are lighter. They look cool but I'd prefer a tubeless spoked hoop.

I thought the cast wheels that easily fit a DRZ (gs500/CBR250) are heavier than spoke wheels? Not sure if the tube makes up the diff?

I thought the cast wheels that easily fit a DRZ (gs500/CBR250) are heavier than spoke wheels? Not sure if the tube makes up the diff?

did i say cast... i meant to say forged. im pretty sure the forged are a bit lighter. the spoked would be a close second if they didnt have tubes

I've got tubeless tyres on my factory spoked excel rims.

The tires may be tubeless capable, but if the rim has a bunch of holes in it like most spoked wheels (the DRZ factory Excel rims are like most spoked wheels), there still needs to be a tube.

A tubeless tire may be used with or without a tube, but a tube type tire must be used with a tube.