Sign in to follow this  

01 200 Gearing

Alright folks I just had my 01 200 exc motor rebuilt top to bottom, I had the cases matched, cylinder ported, and head cut, most importantly I bought a close ratio transmission from JoeM on here and I am thankful to have the close ratio box instead of the wide ratio.

Now it is time for reassembly and break in. I will need a new set of chain and sprockets soon so my plan is to break the motor in the stock 14/48 set I have on their now and then pick up a new set of sprockets and chain. Do any of you have a preference as to gearing with the close ratio box?

Both trannies are very similar till you get to 5th and 6th, so I like stock gearing for both.

If you don't have too many hills, or you are lighter, a 46 is a nice choice, really lets the bike sing along.

I have a very nice low hour Ironman 46 if you are interested. Just too tall for our hills and my heavy arse. hehe :smashpc:

I didn't think I would like the shorter upper gears but have grown to like them. About the only time I would like taller gears is just riding when I want to cruise. there is no cruising gear in this tranny. My tranny is the SX 144 tranny, BTW which is very similar to the XC tranny.

I would like to have a lower 2nd, though.

To me, with the 200, the W tranny is actually more versatile.

On my 02 200exc I liked a 45 tooth. On my close-ratio 200 mxc I like the 48. I'm assuming those are the gears you've installed. In my opinion, especially with the motor work you've had done, any smaller than that and you'll have a hard time keeping the front end down.I prefer the close ratio on those bikes, if that makes a difference.Since you have them, give it a try, then decide.

I weigh 170lbs bare naked, closer to 200 suited up, with the 46/45 do you guys find that first gear is usable or is it still mostly a second through sixth gear ordeal? I think I will go for a rid with the current 14/48 and get a feeling then decide. gmoss I may very well be interested in that 46 you've got.

I really ride a mix of terrain, I race occasionally in the "B" class with decent results but I mostly play ride on trails, an mx track, TT track, this is really a do-it-all bike for me and it does most things pretty darn good after having the suspension setup and now I can't wait to test this motor. I was happy with it prior to busting the transmission but after she went I figured why not build what I always really wanted. Sort of like getting a new bike for me.

Living in CA I need a green sticker so if I stay two stroke (And I wanted to) I've got to stick with 02 or older.

Heh I still have the 14 front 50 back that I was running with the 144. I have yet to try any different setup. However, I've felt pretty good with that so I am in no big hurry to change it up but I will be buying a few more sprockets over the winter to play with.

BTW, if that SX tranny ends up not pleasing you I now have an MXC tranny out of an 03 200;)

Joe..........

Joe,

What is the difference in the tranny I have now and your 03 200? I would be a afraid of that 03 200 though, you'd probably have to pay me to take it. Is the transmission I have much different than the MXC box?

On my 02 200exc I liked a 45 tooth. On my close-ratio 200 mxc I like the 48. I'm assuming those are the gears you've installed. In my opinion, especially with the motor work you've had done, any smaller than that and you'll have a hard time keeping the front end down.I prefer the close ratio on those bikes, if that makes a difference.Since you have them, give it a try, then decide.

the other factor that keeps me from running a taller set up is what it does to the low end gears. I don't like having to use 1st for riding. I had some misshifts to neutral in the last enduro and nothing sucks more than starting on a hill and all ya get is revs to the moon with someone behind you. I like having 1st for bailouts and using 2nd as first.

Heh I still have the 14 front 50 back that I was running with the 144. I have yet to try any different setup. However, I've felt pretty good with that so I am in no big hurry to change it up but I will be buying a few more sprockets over the winter to play with.

BTW, if that SX tranny ends up not pleasing you I now have an MXC tranny out of an 03 200;)

Joe..........

Joe, watching some of your videos, you really should try taller gearing with the 200. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at how it will let the engine rev out.

I have always felt that I was somewhat stuck running close to stock since going a couple of teeth down would mess up my lower end gearing and going up too much would mess up the upper gears.

With stock, I am already in 4th within 50 ft of taking off, unless I am hard on it.

Definitely terrain dependent and personal preference. If I rode on flatter ground or weighed less the 46 would be nice.

Just let me know on the sprocket tkinney.