Sign in to follow this  

99 yamaha rt 100, first bike help

I bought a used 99 rt 100 for 320 bucks. It has been sitting for 5 years. The guy drained all fluids before he stored it. I haven't been able to get it to start. At first I thought I might be able to get by without cleaning carb since hasn't had gas sitting in it. But I can't get it to fire at all. So I'm going to pull the carb and clean it. But I don't know how disconnect the throttle cable or the oil pump line.

The other question I have is how do you prime oil pump. Please help. This my first bike and I'm bummed I can't get it to run. Spark is good. I'm sure that's not problem.

Great success. Got carb off, cleaned it up. And wala. Even idles good. I bled the oil injection. I think. Seems to be some blue smoke comeing out exhaust. Need to make sure before I go for a spin. How can I tell for sure?

Well i'm reasonable satisfied the autolube system is working. It"s sipping away at the 2 stroke oil in tank. Operating temps are consistantely at 260 degrees except for once when I hammered on it on road for 20-30 minutes. 290 degrees then. I think maybe it needs to run a little richer. I think those temps are normal for a 2 stroke can't find much info on internet about 2 stroke temps. I believe the chain needs to be replaced. I ordered one of off ebay should be here soon, let you know how that goes. Seems simple except for moving back wheel forward.

I have a new problem though. I live in FL and I would like to get a title and OHV sticker for it. I got a noterized bill of sale with it and thought that would be enough. I was under the impression it had not been titled before. But that seems not to be the case because it has an FL OHV sticker on it from 2002. Also it's 1999 model if that make a difference. There is something about in FL dirt bikes before 2000 didn't need title or something like that. Need to do more research. Anyone have any advice. Anyone. Anyone. Well at least maybe this post will help someone else down the road.

I bought my 2000 250 in FL 6 yrs ago when I lived there and titled it with a NON noterized bill of sale. Just make sure the bill of sale has all the info needed like make model vin# etc. You can look at a bill of sale document on the FL BMV web sight.

You are right about the pre 2003(not sure of year) not needing titles then but now they do.

Holy S. F the police. For people new to riding. Like me. Learn from my mistakes.

1. Don't buy anything without a title. If the seller doesn't have it, you will never get one. Ever. Not going to happen.

That was my first lessen. This next one is even more painful.

2. Don't ever ride a non street legal bike on the street. The police are just wanting to rip you a new one. They can and will. Impound your bike. Make you walk home. You might or might not get it back. Give you any number of tickets. Some of witch are criminal. So you will have to go to court as well as pay fines. These tickets will mess up your driving license and insurance.

I'm a grown adult and I knew I wasn't suppose to ride on the street. But I had no idea what the consequences could be. I thought maybe a ticket at most. I talked to a couple of neighborhood kids that said they had gotten warnings on their ATV's. So anyway I had just put a new chain on my new/used little 100cc dirt bike Thurs morning and went for a spin around the neighborhood to test it out. I live in Edgewater, Fl which is kind of rural. A cop sees me and turns down the street I'm on. He asks me if have a tag. I say no. He says to pull over. Fine. I was polite as getting an attititude doesn't help. He can't wait to check the vin. Asks me to point it out to him then read it out to him. To make sure he has it right. Fine. I've got nothing to hide. Do you have insurance? No. Want kind on engine? 100cc I tell him. Now another cop shows up. After about half an hour. He asks if I have anybody to pick the bike up. I say I live a short walk away I'll just come back with my truck. He said something about not leaving it beside the rode. So now my blood running, these guy doesn't care about wasteing my time he can't what 10 minutes for me to get my truck. That's when I realize this guy is treating me like I'm a total criminal. He goes back to his car and 10 minutes later ask again if I have someone to pick it up. I say no and I think it's a bit ridicules that you won't let me get my truck. Up until then I didn't say anything but, yes sir and no sir and answer his questions. He blows up. Acts like I just told him to go **** himself. Tow truck comes he takes the bike. He calls me over. Gives me three tickets. No helmet, no endorsement, no registration. I hold my tong seeing how he freaked out when i said something he didn't like and take a very short walk home. 125$ to get it out of impound. 116$ for helmet. the two other tickets I have to go to court. I think this cop had a chip on his shoulder plus just didn't like me from the get go. I was a criminal to him not a person. He was a big fat, ugly , greasy, rookie. I think the economy has something to do with it as well. It was the end of the month and I've noticed a ton more cops out lately looking for people to pull over. I was lucky to get my bike out of impound. He wrote release to registered owner on impound ticket. So the impound lot wouldn't give it to me. I had to go to police police and complain that their is no such thing a registered owner of a dirt bike. They call the officer in. This time I gave him nothing but lip. He must have been in the wrong because he stopped me, offered a biting comment, and said he would call and tell them to release the bike to me. This guy pissed me off so bad. I worked hard to be able to afford the bike. It only cost me 320$ for the bike. This doush bag wrecked me. I almost wish I hadn't ever got the dam thing. Anybody know how much the no endorsement and no regisration tickets are going to cost me or do to my car insurance and license. I live in FL. How bout any ideas how to beat the tickets. Two of them have different statues than the written reason for citation. But I think thats common and on purpose, plus cops can amend it before court. Is it worth getting a lawyer?

COPS TAKE RIDING NON STREET LEGAL BIKES ON THE STREET VERY SERIOUSLY. CONSEQUENCES ARE SEVERE. DON'T DO IT.

Edited by mjr14
  • Like 1

To the guy that responded above. Thanks. I think they have changed rules since then. Made it more difficult. Have to prove previous owner owned it before 2002 to get title with bill of sale. What makes me more angry is I called title/tag office before I bought bike. They told me a notarized bill of sale was all i needed to get title. ***. Thanks alot. I would have not bought the bike if thought wasn't going to be able to get a title for it.

On the bright side bike is running great. Replaced chain. I think i had transmission oil overfilled. Drained it to proper level. Shifts easier and slips into neutral better. Backed pilot needle out to the specified 1 and 1/2 turns. Acceleration thoughout gears and speeds much improved. I thinks I'm going to replace brake shoes next.