Sign in to follow this  

There's your problem right there.

Finally got brave enough to pull the motor on my trusty DRZ-400S after a "breakdown" on the freeway a few months back. I guess it could be worse. The head is in pretty good shape, but the cylinder is trashed, and not sure on the crankshaft/rod yet. Is there suppose to be any side-to-side play in the rod on the crank? Piston.jpgPistonSide.jpgPistonbottom.jpg

It seemed to have plenty of oil in it when it went pop, and when I drained it before pulling it, it appeared to be just under 3 quarts, so dunno.

thats the worst piston I have ever seen. It looks like an egg :smashpc:

I've seen worse

Think Lack of oil. Since the motor is toast, I would think its time to build a big bore motor, that is if you have the cash flow to get it done. Call Eddie at SSW. Im sure they will be happy to help you create a 45hp DRZ. Good luck on the rebuild. Keep us posted on your project. Mitch :smashpc:

I'm guessing the spring in the plastic peg failed. 👍

Ha HA...:smashpc:

:busted: How many miles did you have on that piston....It has turned in the bore...usually related to excessive wear...

Really don't know what the final straw was, but yes, it is conceivable that it had an oil starvation problem, or as others have suggested, was simply wore out which caused it to rotate and destroy itself. Either way, the plan is to rebuild as long as I don't have to split the cases. Big bore may be an option, but I'm looking a whatever will require the least amount of effort and $$$.

I would go for a CW BB kit...how many miles on that bottom end...the trama from the seizure wouldn't have done your crank bearings any favours...I would look at top and bottom end rebuild if it was my bike..

May be an option. I will keep my eyes open for a good deal on parts, and start reading the "HOW TOs" I guess. There is play in the connecting rod, just don't know how much if any is normal.

Maybe go the doner motor option. There might be a salvage DRZ motor out there. This might be the lo buck fix. Myself i would treat myself to a rebuild. Keep the serial numbers correct. Mitch

Really don't know what the final straw was, but yes, it is conceivable that it had an oil starvation problem, or as others have suggested, was simply wore out which caused it to rotate and destroy itself. Either way, the plan is to rebuild as long as I don't have to split the cases. Big bore may be an option, but I'm looking a whatever will require the least amount of effort and $$$.

After that kind of catastrophic failure,the bottom end needs to be checked. the chance of the rod not being bent are small... VERY small.

You put it together with just a new top end, your likely to spend three times the money over all, when you build another new engine from the crank up in a few months.

If you can not, or do not want to split the case, drop it in a box, send to SSW, have him install a new Hot Rods crank and be done with it. If you go that route, send him the head as well... as i doubt it escaped damage as your hoping..

As stated before. Do yourself a favor and do a total rebuild. Even if the bottom end did survive, you will never really know without taking it apart. Not to mention getting all the debris out of the bottom end. Thoroughly check your oil pump and frame screen. It does look like oil starvation and if you had plenty of oil in it you may have a pressure/volume issue.

Do it once Do it right.

As a pro wrench with 40 years experience, I only see two options. Used motor or full overhaul.

Price 'em both out and weigh the pros and cons. Used mill may be cheaper, but what are you really buying? Another motor that's about to hatch?:busted:

An overhaul is a great opportunity to get a fresh, bigger, stronger motor.:smashpc: (Jeez, I get all tingly just thinking about it!)👍

Anyone know or have an estimate on what it will cost in parts to overhual the whole thing?