Sign in to follow this  

Changing hand grips on XR 80?

Is this a simple process? Do I just cut off both sides and glue the new ones on or is the throttle side more complicated? I purchased some pillow top grips and was wondering how it works.

Thanks.

Just cut the old grips off and use grip glue or whatever it is you decide to use to make them stick (I use clear spray paint) each grip is a different size the bigger one goes on the throttle and the smaller goes on the left just make sure before you let the glue you use dry the throttle has easy travel and doesn't stick

Yep, just like Trevor said. It is really easy, just pay attention to the two different sizes and you will be fine.

I poke holes in the ends before I slide them on. Let's air escape from inside the grip as you slide them on.

The Pro Taper grip glue works really well.

use compressed air to blow the old grip off put the tip of the air nozzle under the grip and itll shoot off then put some rubbing alcohol on the bar and slide the new grips on... then firmly hold the new grip in place and shoot some air under them to dry the alcohol

then go ride

Just cut the old grips off and use grip glue or whatever it is you decide to use to make them stick (I use clear spray paint) each grip is a different size the bigger one goes on the throttle and the smaller goes on the left just make sure before you let the glue you use dry the throttle has easy travel and doesn't stick

I just use black spray paint, works great. If you don't want to cut them off, stick a flat head screw driver in the grip, spray wd40 in and it will loosen up and slip right off.

compressed air to take them off and put new ones on. no need for glue, its not a race bike!