Sign in to follow this  

New to exc 300 - question

Hi!

today I am going to pick up 2011 EXC300 with 34hours. The bike is like new.

I have one Question thou:

Is it normal that when starting with e button , the starter motor turns freley ( does not turn the motor)? this happens only from time to time.

The seller said that it is that way since new, and that he was asking the dealer what is wrong. The dealer said that it is some kind of automatic clutch.... and that it is normal

Is it true?

That is not normal...My 300 has an automatic clutch, and the E start engages every time properly.

There have been some issues with the estart. I remember reading on KTMtalk many discussions on the estart not engaging. I would start there.

My 300 starts first time every time with the kick starter :smashpc:

The problem, as I understand it, is the grease KTM used on the starter gears is very thick / heavy and when combined with trail / track mud creates a real nasty paste that interfers with the starter operation.

There is a fix for this problem, I believe it is called Slaven's mods for E-Start or something like that, I read about it and it seemed to be very easy to do.

You might try a search here on TT as I'm sure it has been covered extensively.

Over 40 Rider, I love the statement in your sig line.

"02 KTM 300 - It's Old, It's Orange and it Hauls A$$"

Not to mention, when riding the "old" bike, it peels back the years, and makes you feel 16 again... at least for a few hours...

Over 40 Rider, I love the statement in your sig line.

"02 KTM 300 - It's Old, It's Orange and it Hauls A$$"

Not to mention, when riding the "old" bike, it peels back the years, and makes you feel 16 again... at least for a few hours...

Thanks!

I'd have to peel back a buttload of years to feel 16 again :smashpc: