Ebay $75.00 Canadian stators for XR650R question

I just bought one. I figured it would be $40 to wind it myself like I did on my other XRR, so it was worth it to me to take the chance. It looks like a decent unit and the tops of the poles are machined where the oem is all cast. I assume this is just for a more precise fit. I installed it yesterday and it went right in with no problems. The mechanical part of the install is now done, but I have to do the wiring portion yet. The one I received looks like it has all the connectors, so I assume it will be pretty easy, but that will have to wait until Monday or Tuesday. If I do have to change the connectors it shouldn't be too hard.

FYI, this unit has 15 poles wound for power output (17 total), instead of the stock stator with potential to wind 10 poles (12 total). I don't know the gauge wire or number of turns, but I would have to say that it looks like it will produce a lot more than an additional 20% over the US spec. stock stator. I am guessing in other markets Honda winds all the poles, so I would guess that it will probably produce 20% more than having all the poles wound on a stock stator, but that is unverified speculation on my part.

If it's the same one I bought in June of this year made by Niche Industry's, stay away. Mine went less than 150 miles. :smashpc: They did warranty (replace) the stator as it was within 30 days of purchase but I decided not to take a chance ruining another days ride stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Spent the extra money and got a Ricky Stator.?

A hiccup then backfire, that was the end of my riding day. Checked it on the side of the road and no spark. I sent the stator back and they determined it was faulty and send another which is still sitting in the box.

As the 600 does not have a battery I bought the Ricky Stator and a Stealthy A/C regulator to replace the stock one and set it up for full 200 watts. Blinkers work better, Headlight doesn't flicker at low RPM, and it actually seems easier to start. Approximately 1000 miles on the setup and only problem has been a burnt headlight bulb however the stock Honda replacement is doing fine.

Edited by firsthere
Add coment

Just to let you know i live about 10 mins away from the guy who sells these and he does not have a motorcycle shop and if you look up the store name there is no telephone number for that business. I can only assume he sells them out of his garage. It does not mean his product is no good but buyer beware. All the motorcycle shops around here guided me toward a ricky stator even though they do not sell them. This must tell you something.

The Niche is the one I was referring to. Interesting to hear how the rest of your install goes.:smashpc:

I got called out of town for work, so it may be a while, but it's hard for me to understand how badly you can screw up wrapping some wire around the poles. Several years ago, I rewound my stock stator (using info from a DIY website) on my other XRR, and it was no big deal, but some of these other post have me a little concerned. So I started to think about it, and went back to check the pics on the ebay listing... the wire wraps on the poles were not covered in epoxy like the DIY site recommended (and which I did on my other rewind), so I may pull it back out and do that when I get back from my trip before re-installing it, just to be safe.

If I were a reputable bike shop I would probably recommend the proven products too. I have no doubt that both the Baja Designs and Ricky Stators are both good, but, Baja Designs charges $125 and you have to send them your core. w/Ricky Stators at least they sell you the entire thing, but at $150, it was more than I was willing to pay for a job that you can do yourself in a couple hours for $30-$40. At $75 it was worth the chance, but if it still doesn't work out, and I have to rewind it myself, I'll still be out less than either of the other solutions.

Does anyone else have any actual experience with these stators ?

• 4 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has tried modifying the stator by cutting it down like this

stator_modified.jpg

Question is: does this modification reduce the drag caused by the unneeded magnetic circuits.

Another reason is simply to reduce weight.

I havent tried it yet but believe that the thicker wire(same turns approx) will be more reliable.

Edited by rogervize