Sign in to follow this  

85 XL600R problems

i have a 85 xl600r that has carb problems it will tend to choke out when you give it throttle fast have taken apart the carbs and cleaned them once already.

my other problem is that the throttle wont roll back and i have cleaned the throttle and the cables are fine still wont go back to idle :smashpc:

any help would be greatly appreciated

I had the same problem with my 83. I am no mechanic so i had two separate guys take the carbs apart and did not do any difference finally a found a place with a sonic wash and it has worked great ever since. The moral of the story is any little piece of dirt caught in a small corner can cause you problems. Try running the cables a little different my would hang up too so i bought new cables and actually run them on the opposite side of the frame and they seem to work good know.

thats what i was thinking i was going to get them sconic cleaned,are there any ajustmens on the carbs because i havent seen any other than the idle

whats a good lubercant to use on the cables? I used wd-40

WD-40 only lasts a day or 2.

it dries up like water.

I posted the Honda XL600 Carb manual here somewhere. ( search my name to find it )

just do EVERYTHING ( go fatter on the jets) in the book, and you should have a 1 kick machine that is faster than most XR600R.

If you clean the carbs yourself you have to take them completely apart and run a small wire in every passage and hole you can see, emultion tube, jets, bodies, everything. Then brake clean through everything, mine were bad, worked after this. Now also don't be surprised if you need to replace the air check valve (rubber diaphram) check it with a small flashlight, look for light coming through, very common for it be bad after this many years and the cause of alot of carb problems. If you need one get it for the newest carb you can(87) it's a little cheaper, they are a little spendy

i was wondering the rachet that links the carbs Is the first carb sposed to open first? then the second? im not shoue mine was tight so i loosed it and it helped

The carbs are progressive; the left side(primary) opens first. At WOT they should both be open about the same amount. Exact same principle as a Holley four barrel.

thanks head trauma thats what i was thinking

To set the carb opening so it's close make sure you have about 5/16 inch between the tab on pri carb and the bell crank on secondary carb( the two points that contact to open secnd carb),

i found out why my bike was running like **** the guy i bought it from switched the bowls on the carbs,plus the diaphragm on the main carb had a hole in it other than that everything looks fine on the carbs.

does any one know what to soak the throttle cables in to clean them out?

i was thinking kerosine

Yea, no surprise the hole in air check valve, as I mentioned earlier very common problem, now when you get one, don't forget, get it for an '87, same thing and for some reason (inventory tax), it's cheaper than the earlier years.If you have not found one yet, be ready, they are not cheap, but it will make night and day difference.

well got the carbs working great ended up getting them ultra sconicly cleaned now they work hella better plus i fixed the rachet