Sign in to follow this  

Florida Croom today

Todays ride report: I went to croom solo this morning with the new bike. Its truly amazing how much easier it is to ride the 250 over the 125 in the sugar sand here in florida.

Good news is I now know what the bike now needs setup wise for harescrambles and trail riding.

Bad News is I rode down E trail from the front to the rear parking the bike started acting funny like it was was down on power. I shut the bike off to let it cool once I got to the pine parking after cooling down I couldn't get it to start and the kick starter was a lot easier to kick. RUHROH I did manage to push start it with the help of a couple of guys that I was tagging along with. And rode it back to where I was parked at the front down the A trail. I'm thinking a piston ring gave up the ghost, hopefully it didn't do too much damage cause I helped the previous owner of the bike do a complete bottom end on this engine 3 months ago.

BTW it was a pleasure to meet Thumper talk member MELK-MAN. I forgot to thank you for all the help answering questions on here when I was getting ready for the dirtyfoot harescramble a while back.

Well time to start ordering parts to whip this bike into shape.

Jason if you need any help working on the bike let me know.

Did you sell your 125 yet?

Thanks Jay, I haven't sold the yz yet I've had a couple of people wanting to trade even for 250s that were in worse shape than the one I picked up (even now). But I want to sell it out right. I'm kinda of regretting ever attempting to get rid of it now. It runs so freaking good and I've never had any trouble with it. But it was time for the bigger bike and this one was available. Its just gonna be more trouble than I wanted but for the price range I was looking at they all are gonna be turds.

Todays ride report: I went to croom solo this morning with the new bike. Its truly amazing how much easier it is to ride the 250 over the 125 in the sugar sand here in florida.

Good news is I now know what the bike now needs setup wise for harescrambles and trail riding.

Bad News is I rode down E trail from the front to the rear parking the bike started acting funny like it was was down on power. I shut the bike off to let it cool once I got to the pine parking after cooling down I couldn't get it to start and the kick starter was a lot easier to kick. RUHROH I did manage to push start it with the help of a couple of guys that I was tagging along with. And rode it back to where I was parked at the front down the A trail. I'm thinking a piston ring gave up the ghost, hopefully it didn't do too much damage cause I helped the previous owner of the bike do a complete bottom end on this engine 3 months ago.

BTW it was a pleasure to meet Thumper talk member MELK-MAN. I forgot to thank you for all the help answering questions on here when I was getting ready for the dirtyfoot harescramble a while back.

Well time to start ordering parts to whip this bike into shape.

no problem, sorry we were gone without spending much time to chat but from what you described the damage had been done and the only thing to do was what you said then.. tear it apart and see what is what. LOL.. It is possible your carb is jetting a little lean on the main jet if you rode a LONG distance on A/E or the other wide open "trails" that are as wide as a road (those are there to get EMS vehicles in). Hope ya get it sorted, when you do, check the plug from time to time to see if it is a nice brown or if grey/white. That bike should not loose a ring like that.. but if lean on top (main jet territory) it will cook things.

My 98cr250 served me well for many years of Croom riding, never had a problem but had the carb jetting pretty "fat".. :smashpc: Be sure your using the stock heat range plug, and have someone that knows somethin about 2stroke carbs tune the air screw (4stks have a fuel screw).. Hopefully the cylinder is good!

Yea I jetted my yz 125 rich for this exact reason. I made the mistake of taking this bike out before going through it with a fine tooth comb first so to speak. I've got a feeling its way lean I pulled the plug at croom and it was really dirty (lots of carbon build up) and its dark grey.

Edit: I haven't taken the bike apart yet I probably wont have a chance until Tuesday night. The guy that I bought the bike from thinks I might have sucked a reed into the engine. I'm having a hard time believing him because I dont think that would cause it to lose compression. But I'm new to two stoke engines so I could be wrong.

Yea I jetted my yz 125 rich for this exact reason. I made the mistake of taking this bike out before going through it with a fine tooth comb first so to speak. I've got a feeling its way lean I pulled the plug at croom and it was really dirty (lots of carbon build up) and its dark grey.

Edit: I haven't taken the bike apart yet I probably wont have a chance until Tuesday night. The guy that I bought the bike from thinks I might have sucked a reed into the engine. I'm having a hard time believing him because I dont think that would cause it to lose compression. But I'm new to two stoke engines so I could be wrong.

Well the good news is it's a 2 stroke and working on them is much easier than a 4. Again let me know if you need a hand brother.

The worst case reared its ugly head. I think I wanna puke. Cylinder is going to need to be sleeved, the head is toast, obviously needs a piston, rings, etc. Not a financial hit that I can take so I guess I'm down for a while.

6187594296_438389a164_b.jpg

NO!!!:smashpc:

I'll keep an eye out for parts for you Bro. Last time I saw that bike it ran like a top.

:smashpc:

Yes it did thats why I bought it. It ran awesome when jim had it. It had a few issues that we had to fix over the past year and a half I figured every thing that was wrong with the bike had been fixed. My best guess is the bike overheated and scorched the piston. Now I need to figure out why it did that did the bike go lean or was there an air bubble floating around in the radiator.

It only took a half a day of riding and I go from :busted: to 👍

New bike blues I guess. I priced things out it looks like it will almost be cheaper to order a new jug than to resleave the current one.