Sign in to follow this  

Avgas stored in plastic fuel jug

How long will it last or how fast will it degrade? I've always heard avgas can store for a long time with no issues but I always assumed that was with an airtight metal can.

I have some in a plastic jug in the garage that I bought in early July and I haven't ridden since. My first instinct is to get rid of it but maybe it is still good?

Save the "avgas blows" comments. My bike detonates on premium pump fuel and I don't want to fork over the cash for race gas. I've ran many many gallons of the stuff throughout the years but since I barely ride now sometimes I have a half full gas can that sits for months on end.

Avgas has a typical storage life of a year. Whether it is kept in a metal or plastic container makes little difference, with many users, in fact, having a preference for the latter due to the lower risk of oxidation. So long as it is airtight, kept cool and away from direct sunlight you should have no problems. Any signs of "gum" however, just discard it.

Well its kept in the garage which around this time of year is 100 +-10 degrees throught out the day so it's definitely not cool. But it is in a plastic can that should be air tight, it's DRY, and it's out of the sun. Should be good then? It is premixed if that makes a difference.

If its only been there for a couple of months, there should be no problem. When you remove the lid check for any signs of gumming.

I run avgas all the time since I get it for free. I have been in your situation several times. It should be good to go. Avgas keeps pretty darn well

Avgas lasts longer then any other gas. Planes sit in hangers for yrs and then fire right up. I put it in all my small engines for winter storage so my carbs don't gum up.