Sign in to follow this  

oil change

hi there im new to this,

just bought a 1999 dr 350 sex model, wanting to do a oil and filter change on it, it says sae 10/40 on the dip stick but does it matter what kind, what type of oil do people put in theres. im from the uk if this helps

cheers

hi there im new to this,

just bought a 1999 dr 350 sex model, wanting to do a oil and filter change on it, it says sae 10/40 on the dip stick but does it matter what kind, what type of oil do people put in theres. im from the uk if this helps

cheers

Make sure it specifies "motorcycle" oil, or it should meet JASO MA spec. For example, Rotella T6 is labelled as a 5w40 Diesel oil, but it meets JASO MA spec. (Meaning it's safe for wet clutch engines)...you just have to read the fine print on the back sometimes...lol

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forum! :smashpc:

Kevin

Hi, I'm rather new to the DR myself (DR650). I use the Suzuki 4cycle motorcycle engine oil. It's the 10/40 dino oil. As long as it says meets or exceeds JASO MA (not sure what all that means) on the bottle it should be ok to use. I just use what the local bike shop has; probably paying too much, but it says "suzuki" on it and is recommended for my bike. I stay away from synthetic cause I've read it may cause clutch problems; slipping. Don't know for sure, but just for me, the K.I.S.S. principal applies!:smashpc:

Good luck with your DR350!

rc.

Hi, I'm rather new to the DR myself (DR650). I use the Suzuki 4cycle motorcycle engine oil. It's the 10/40 dino oil. As long as it says meets or exceeds JASO MA (not sure what all that means) on the bottle it should be ok to use. I just use what the local bike shop has; probably paying too much, but it says "suzuki" on it and is recommended for my bike. I stay away from synthetic cause I've read it may cause clutch problems; slipping. Don't know for sure, but just for me, the K.I.S.S. principal applies!:smashpc:

Good luck with your DR350!

rc.

Yep. You can get slippage with the incorrect oil. I've done a ridiculous amount of searching on retail shelves and very few synthetics actually specify JASO MA. (Japanese Automobile Standards Organization) In fact the only "Automotive" synth I can find, that also meets the spec is the Rotella. (and it won't break the bank either) Not sayin there's no other, just can't find it. I almost died when a friend of mine told me he was using Q-state 5w50 synth in his brand new CBR...👍

thanks a lot, i went and bought some castrol high performance 4t oil 10/40 it says on the back its for wet clutches, changing the oil and filter today so will see if the clutch is ok lol ,

another question how hard is it to change the timing chain and all chain slides and tensionor on it, im a diesel mechanic so not too hot on small 350 air cooled engines,

another question how hard is it to change the timing chain and all chain slides and tensionor on it, im a diesel mechanic so not too hot on small 350 air cooled engines,

You will likely get a few responses to this here in this thread, but you would see "more" if you post up the question as it's own thread. I've not gotten any deeper than tinkering with my carb yet, so I'm no good to you.

Not sure if you found it yet, but there's an FAQ section in this forum too. There's a buttload of good info in there. It's labelled as a DR650 faq, but I'm sure there's still plenty of applicable stuff....

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=705043

If you're already wrenching a diesel engine then I think you'll find the DR quite simple. There's a decent handful of riders here that are willing to share the detailed service manual for your ride. Just gotta ask.

Peace,

Kev

Guardian Rock oil 10/40 is a great oil available in UK:thumbsup: