Sign in to follow this  

86 xr250r looking for better front suspension

hey guys, i have an 86 xr250r, and im in need of finding some solutions for the lack of decent front suspension. i can deal with the rear the way it is,(stock) but the front, that a different story. im kinda a fatboy at 230lbs! is there any forks like off a older cr or anything of the like that would fit. or are there any upgrades i could do without spending a whole sh**load on? i mostly ride tight trails, lots of rocks, roots and a decent amount of long straights with good size whoops. any input would be great!!! thanks in advance

hey baja, the CR forks, are you saying that i need forks and triple off the cr's? sorry for the dumbass question just wanna be sure. and the xr 400, just the forks? cause the 400's will fit in my triple clamps???thanks

hey guys, i have an 86 xr250r, and im in need of finding some solutions for the lack of decent front suspension. i can deal with the rear the way it is,(stock) but the front, that a different story. im kinda a fatboy at 230lbs! is there any forks like off a older cr or anything of the like that would fit. or are there any upgrades i could do without spending a whole sh**load on? i mostly ride tight trails, lots of rocks, roots and a decent amount of long straights with good size whoops. any input would be great!!! thanks in advance

I know what you're talking about, I'm a fatboy too...

This is what I did to make my bike deal with my add mass. I used '85 43mm XR600R triples with 43mm XR650L cartridge forks. I used a XR650L front caliper mounting bracket, axle, speedo drive and swapped the hub bearings for the larger axle diameter. You'll need to press in your steering stem or use a spacer to 1" above the upper bearing. I also swapped in a XR650L rear shock and XR650L lower link(1/8) shorter). This raised the bike 1/2". The stiffer spring rates and damping are a great improvement from stock.

The handling is balanced and is still perfect for a woods bike. I swapped a few other XR parts on it to improve its fit for my 6'3" height.

Here's pictures Look One

001-1.jpg

Look Two

002-1.jpg

:smashpc:

You'd be surprised how much difference the right spring in back makes. There WAS a guy on ebay selling NOS aftermarket Progressive Suspension springs for old XR's. They are a progressive rate spring (something like 9.5-12.0) and improved my 350 quite a bit over stock when I ran it. For 230 you'd want around a 10.5 straight rate, so that would work well for you too.

I paid $40 for mine new in packaging.

They are PINK though. :smashpc:

I ran 87 CR250 forks for a while and they work pretty well but need to be resprung.

I still have them sitting in my garage.

thanks for all the input guys, gettn close to decidiing how im going to go about addressing my issue. how about those EMULATORS? are those really as god as they say? i know there are semi pricing but not bad i' like to get some educated input from a few of ya on these. anybody know where i could get a rear spring (stiffer) whaT DOES REVALVEING DO TO FORKS/ SHOCKS?