Sign in to follow this  

DR650 Surging

I've noticed that my 1996 DR650 surges pretty regularly. It's especially noticeable at lower speeds (15-30 MPH). What causes that? Any recommendations on how to alleviate the surging?

I've noticed that my 1996 DR650 surges pretty regularly. It's especially noticeable at lower speeds (15-30 MPH). What causes that? Any recommendations on how to alleviate the surging?

Although surging is a trait of the stock BST40 vacuum carb... it generally happens at a bit high speed. Given the age of your machine you may want to check the condition of the white plastic spacer on the jet needle. They are known to wear on the outer edge where it sits on the top of the D-shelf in the carb slide. This leans out your mixture and certainly can add to an already glaring issue with this carb. If you find a wear pattern on the spacer you can just flip it over (as long as that has not been done previously) to use the good side. that will bring the needle back up to the stock height and richen things up a bit. :smashpc: