Sign in to follow this  

Debating some things

Hey guys, so I have been riding dirtbikes since I was 11 or so, I am 20 now, and I love it more than anything. DUring middle school we would get off the bus and instead of doing our homework we would hop on our bikes and go ride. but now, being older, riding is now very scarce, I still live at home, and I commute to college, but there are just no places to ride anymore around here. every time I go to the track it is 50$ and to ride at all, I need to travel pretty far. My dad has 2 street bikes, and I am insured to ride one of them. Long story short, I am debating selling my dirtbike and using it towards a street bike, cbr600rr probably. The only thing that is holding me back from just going out and buying a street bike, is that I have hefty monthly payments on a '10 Silverado. So I would need to sell my bike is I were to go this route. It just seems like I work on my dirbike more than I ride it, and it is expensive to maintain. (06 crf250r) Just wanted to see what you guys think. Appreciate it

Sell your bike and get a more reliable one, save up money and but an older streetbike. You wont be able to get a 600rr with around $2k....assuming thats how much youll be able to sell your 250 for

^^ LOL. How nice of them, that thing would def. be gone. William has good advice

My parents surprised me with the new truck as a grad present. Along with the payments

That's a horrible grad gift. lol

You won't be able to afford a newer CBR600. Plus with your age and even w/ a clean driving record, your insurance will be outrageous!

I find it near impossible to think your parents 'bought' you a truck but you have to make payments as a 'surprise gift'.

Give the truck to your parents as a First Day of Fall gift... along with the payments.

Edited by William1

I find it odd they buy you a new truck but won't contribute to your hobby. Especially if you go to school full time and work part time. Assuming you have a job, if not. get a job.

personally id say no to selling the bike, i love street bikes but i would never give up my rmz to have one.. i used to spend a lot of time on my gixxer but after getting into riding tracks this summer the rockets not nearly as fun anymore... where r u from in pa?? all tracks around me r $20 except for breezewood (which is defiantly worth the $40) and theres enough trails around me to ride for days

When was the last time you got pulled over riding your dirtbike (legally)?

I have played the back and forth game between street and dirt. When your on the street "the Man" tells you what you can and cannot do, certainly far from being "free" uhum... Harley People...lol

It really doesnt matter if you sell the CRF now or not, you'll have another then another and maybe another dirkbike later..

You're 20.. lots of time to make the wrong decisions.. Ahhh to be 20 again..

BTW; who does that to their kid.. Just remember this financial burden they placed upon you. You may not understand it at your current age, but it most likely will be crystal clear in a short 15 years!!

They really need to start handing out books at child birth.

I'm in a similar situation money wise. I commute to college and rarely get to go riding during the semesters do to lack of money and time.I also have almost no time to work on the bikes. I say sell your bike and get a two stroke or just get another bike that way when one is down the other is ready to go. It also helps when you go to the track with other people so you can split the price of gas between everyone.

Sell the truck, buy something affordable. Burying yourself in payments is a fools game.

X2, get rid of the hefty payments and buy a more affordable truck. Thank mom & dad for the truck by giving them each a kick in the crotch ! The payments on the truck seem to be the bigger problem here...

Sell the truck, buy something affordable. Burying yourself in payments is a fools game.

X3.

Unless you just want the truck (nice I'm sure it is), sell it, buy a $3000 runs well, but not a chick magnet (might this have something to do with you not already selling it?:smashpc:) vehicle, and have some extra $$ for bikes and riding.

And like others have said.. At your age, the insurance premiums on a CBR600 may well be more than the payment. Sport bikes for young guys are an expensive proposition. Not saying don't get one, but am saying do some serious financial calculating before committing.

Sell truck ASAP. Financing a vehicle like that at your age is stupid, that truck payment could be going towards your own place closer to riding! I too wonder what your parents were thinking when they pulled that crap. As others have said just get a cheapie pickup or a car with a hitch and trailer.

Since the summer ended, so did my full time job, I now only work 15 hours a week. The truck is a 5.3 v8 so it's 70-80$ for gas every other week, give or take. I mean my paycheck goes directly to the payment. Since I don't work 80 hours now, I am no longer "making money". I mean idk I wanted a truck and all, and they got an awesome deal on the truck, about 7000 off. so I think maybe they got it to use whenever too. They'll throw some gas in there when they use it.

Been riding street bikes for a while now and they are no fun on the street unless you are breaking the law. I'd recommend checking out some motards first. Get some dirt tires for it and still enjoy the trails. Cheap insurance.

I had all the toys when I was 20 along with tons of payments! I had a great job making a 100k a year, no education, heck what could go wrong? Lost my job and then things slide down hill fast. Im 29 now and have just finished paying the debts that are owed on all my old toys, I have none of them now(my bank manager and accountant figured about 21'000k just in interest payments and bank fees alone). I have 2 brothers also, they did the exact same as me, one is 27 and the other is 31. Had I listened to this advice^^^when I was young, well you can guess where I would be now. I own a business and do very well but because of my previous bad credit, I have to pay everything in cash and at this point it is very hard for me to come up with 30% cash towards the purchase of a house. Sell the truck, get something cheap, and keep your old bike untill you are finished school.