Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha 99 wolverine....help

ok so we got this '99 350 wolverine and it idles great, give it gas it backfires bad we put a new timing chain in it but the question we have is whats the difference between the t mark and the f mark? the f mark lines up great but not the t how do we fix this? please somebody help us and any timing info is greatly appreciated step by steps and trouble shooting info greatly appreciated thank you :smashpc:

we got a service manual. your comment did not help us__-- hey i'm sorry. my girl friend got the question wrong ... the "t" does line up the key is not sheered. I've gapped the valves .003 on intake and .007 on exhaust. bike still backfires. i changed the carb no change.i can turn the motor clock wise should this be able to happen if the valves are good? bike idles great, give it any gas it backfires, shoot ether in the carb it dies. in my sight hole to check line up marks my mark is clearly an "f" in the threads of the sight hole, not a straight up and down line. you don't think this bike could be timed with the "f " mark instead of the "t" mark do you?

Edited by SAY IT ISNT SO

t mark = top dead center this is the timing mark you want when setup the cam timing mark make sure this as dead on by manual turning the motor over

f mark = fire

Something I have ask about you backfire

Dose still do it when you hold gas at one place? or is just when let off the gas?.

More then likey you are to far advance or even retarded on your timing dbl check eveything by hand cranking over the motor check the timing mark if it off it can causes that.

Some thing else that can cause that is dumping to much fuel inspecting the spark plugs is black are you seeing any Black smoke out the exhaust pipe?, that mean you runing super rich or posable broader line lean.

Last possable is a air leak in the intake system which can also cause backfiring, you need visually check your rubber intake manifold for cracks.

Fast way us used contact cleaner, and while the engine is running, spray around the manifold sealing area and listen for a rev in engine rpm or a stall condition that will happen instantly.

there are no leaks, i used another carb and intake of another perfectly running bike. i have checked and rechecked timing mark several times it is right on tdc. it does not smoke but spark plug does look like it is carbonated really bad, replaced plug did same thing

Ok I see then it sound like you exhaust maybe plug up is your muffler remove able?.

Have try with muffler on?.

The motor is runs Counter Clockwise that why chain tensioner are alway in back of the motor if on left or rigth hand side of the motor.

If chain tensioner in front of the motor on left or rigth then motor run Clockwise.

Edited by shspvr

we tried everything nothing worked it is sitting in our garage looking like a parts bike which also works since wolverines seem to be just that...parts bikes

Check to ensure that you are not one tooth ahead or behind i the timing. The T mark on the case should line up as well as the gear on the cams with the top of the case. When adjusting the valve clearances ensure that the atv is cold and on the compression stroke before adjusting the valves.

we have already done that any other suggestions? it will not stop backfiring. we went 1 tooth forward back fire 2 teeth back wards back fire and according to the t mark its lined up like it should be. back forward 1 tooth still back fires we have moved it every way it could . we took timing chain back off started all over same results. valves are gapped to specs what else could it be?

I have felling that your problem with cam timing maybe more like a ignition timing problem.

Usely back fire out the exhaust pipe mean when your on throttle hard and off the throttle that usely means a lean pliot jet, But in your case you say it continuously back fires holding the throttle.

The only other thing I can think of is maybe CDI or weak pickup coil or flywheel key or something not set rigth with the ignition possable you forgot hook up a safety switch or neutral and reverse wire is backwords.

can you or how do you adjust the ignition timing ? where is it located

You can't it build CDI delay timing it automatic dose all things from stock rpm of min 6/8 degrees min to max rpm of 32/36 degrees depend on how factey set it up.

I take you did pull the flywheel rigth check flywheel key and look over Pickup coil.