Sign in to follow this  

oil changes, general maintenance and a few questions....

Ok so I had some posts about my rmz 450 05 bike overheating earlier, took my bike bike for its first spin yesterday and wow no overheating!!!!YAY :smashpc:.....soo I then started thinking of a few questions...Ive owned many bikes but non as new as this one....oil changes???-Im honestly not a tough rider that thrashes my bike every time i head out, i mostly enjoy just doing a bit of trail riding/mild hill climbs/a few jumps etc.....I keep a rough estimate of the hours so I guess I will work on hours....how often do you think i should change the oil??and the oil filter, air filter etc....also the clutch is pathetic....it seems to be all or nothing....NOT slipping or hard to pull or anything of that sort just there is virtually no travel in the lever before it grips up and you off....???is this normal...how could i help this are there adjustments on the clutch itself???anyway I parked the bike and have just left it for another sunny day to have a look at it and start chopping and changing it to suit me:)....right HOT START-what on earth were they thinking???its a pain in the butt....and foot....to reach down every time you stall during a climb...aftermarket hot start levers....easy to get, reasonable, helpfull???

+1, but air filter after every trip. This is because I pressure wash the bike every time I return and there are holes in the side. 'Spoiling some water on it is inevitable. With your model there could be small holes just under the seat.

Don't start your bike after washing but first change the filter so that it is dry. Drops of water (or warm engine oil) will suck debris and small dust particles through the air filter in seconds. This sands off the protected layer on your titanium valves.

Riders with their Honda's complaining that their bikes eat valves quickly should learn how to clean their airfilter:bonk: 👍

In 150 hours my valves haven't moved and I intend to keep it that way :smashpc:

Don't you think, that an oil changes after 2 - 3 hours are too frequent? My 2011 RMZ 450 manual says every 6 hours, an old KXF 2006 manual says even 15 hours (with only 0,9 liters of oil charge). I don't think, that oil devalues so quickly....of course, you can't do anything wrong with more frequent oil changes, but i mean, that it is a bit needless...for example RMX450Z requires only 30hours intervals, and engines of RMZ and RMX are very similar :smashpc:

i change my oil after 6 hours. oil filter at 12. i think you could double that, if you dont race the thing.

as for your clutch, inspect the clutch basket for grooves.

Riders with their Honda's complaining that their bikes eat valves quickly should learn how to clean their airfilter:bonk: :busted:

In 150 hours my valves haven't moved and I intend to keep it that way 👍

funny. i´ve had 3 crf 450´s, all with valve problems at around 50-60 hours. now i have an rmz 450, and the valves stay in spec, now at 70 hours. :smashpc:

Don't you think, that an oil changes after 2 - 3 hours are too frequent? My 2011 RMZ 450 manual says every 6 hours, an old KXF 2006 manual says even 15 hours (with only 0,9 liters of oil charge). I don't think, that oil devalues so quickly....of course, you can't do anything wrong with more frequent oil changes, but i mean, that it is a bit needless...for example RMX450Z requires only 30hours intervals, and engines of RMZ and RMX are very similar 👍

It may be a bit excessive but I'd rather spend a few extra dollars on oil for a great running engine that a new motor. Frequently changing your oil does a lot more than most think. I've talked to many of my friends who have their race shop/track side support at the races and they have said they wish people would change their oil after every day of riding. That was coming from the mechanics and if any thing they'd be telling you to run it for a lot longer (more money for them when it does blow up). but we are all entitled to our opinions and I am VERY particular about things I love. So i might be a little excessive :smashpc:

It may be a bit excessive but I'd rather spend a few extra dollars on oil for a great running engine that a new motor. Frequently changing your oil does a lot more than most think. I've talked to many of my friends who have their race shop/track side support at the races and they have said they wish people would change their oil after every day of riding. That was coming from the mechanics and if any thing they'd be telling you to run it for a lot longer (more money for them when it does blow up). but we are all entitled to our opinions and I am VERY particular about things I love. So i might be a little excessive :smashpc:

I agree totaly with you I change my oil 2 hrs or less and filter every other, air filter every ride. Oil is cheap and blown motors are expensive clean oil keeps the clutch plates cleaner making them last longer too.

+1,

Riders with their Honda's complaining that their bikes eat valves quickly should learn how to clean their airfilter:bonk: 👍

In 150 hours my valves haven't moved and I intend to keep it that way :smashpc:

we will see about that,just picked up my first RMZ, after having a honda it will have a lot to live up too. On the red side, theres a little more going on than just making sure your air filter is clean, like the intake lobe on the cam being very sharp, honda using valve springs that couldnt handle the pressure. After changing those two things out I never had valve trouble again:thumbsup:

BTW the crf was a 04' that has about 175 hours on the OEM crank, which would still be good if the oil pump didnt fail...

Wow lotsa posts!!!!....thanks for all the info....here is the deal that i often find rather strange....ok so i have a few older model bike with no oil filter etc and i run the oil for ages before it needs changing...so with all the technology they put into todays oil and everything why on earth do these bikes need oil changed soo often???sure you can get away with a reasonable amount of time of not changing the oil???like i said i dont race and i barely even get to a track( i trail ride cant even say the throttle opens over half way most of the time)...also the rmz i ride has an oil requirement of 1.5litres!!!thats nearly a third of the amount of oil a normal small car takes and the oil only needs to be changed on a car after a few thousand kms....plus the rmz runs a filter that will pick up any debris from the clutch etc so the oil is no just moving round collecting grinding paste for the engine.....anyway im just putting it out there it is an interesting discussion to have one that has baffled me for ever!!!..... air filters i definately agree with the amount of dust these things suck in is stupid....definately need to be changing those after a dusty day....valves rings pistons are not worth the expense.....since we are on a heated topic.....why not lets start on the coolant....surely this can stay in your bike for a while....?????

my last bike had a site window on the motor side, I changed it after 2 rides, if there was any color change to the oil even after one ride, I changed it. Very cheap to do so running Rotella. In most cases it probably didnt need to be changed that much, but it got ridden very hard.

Does coolant go bad? Think I changed it 3 times on an 04' CRF 450, only because I had to when changing the piston and rings.

sounds reasonable enough for the coolant changes now since my bike is second hand and has no hour tracking system i will probably be doing the engine soon. SOO is it better to go with stock or aftermarket parts such as pistons, rings, valves.....etc???