Sign in to follow this  

transmission

i got a new chain and put it on my bike well i did a ride on it and checked it i noticed it had a little to much slop but i wanted to get back out and ride for a couple mins b4 it got to dark well i was riding and shifted into third pinned it and no more than i pinned the bike i herd a loud thump a backfire and the bike locked up first thing i thought was i blew the engine. i then noticed that the master link snaped off the chain well today i put a new link on it and was riding around the yard to warm it up and as soon as i shifted to third ( just enough speed to keep steady rpms) i hear this rattle. the only thing i can think of is i burned out 3rd gear when the chain got raped around the front sprocket and stoped very quick. all of the other gears are normal i dont hear any rattleing at all but 3rd has that rattle. and like i said i think i burned out 3rd gear but im not possitive:banghead:. whats ur guys ideas? what do u think it is?

EDIT: the bike is a 04 kx250f

Edited by moriarity81

please put what bike you have in your post. but most likely by the sounds of your mechanical skills just ride it till it locks up

If your lugging the bike when you hear that noise then it's normal chain slap, rev the motor up a little more, if it goes away it's just chain slap, nothing to worry about.

But if it is there at all rpm ranges, then you might have a damaged gear.

please put what bike you have in your post. but most likely by the sounds of your mechanical skills just ride it till it locks up

The bikes gota fresh crank and top end only has like 20hrs on it the last thing i want to do is have a tooth or something broke off a gear and mess up the crank or anything else inside the motor.

If your lugging the bike when you hear that noise then it's normal chain slap, rev the motor up a little more, if it goes away it's just chain slap, nothing to worry about.

But if it is there at all rpm ranges, then you might have a damaged gear.

I only rode it in low rpm range but it only does it in 3rd. When i herd it i stoped then rode it agAin hit 3rd did it again shifted up 4th had no rattle and 5th had mo rattle so its only 3rd doing it so im almost posotive its the gear.

I'm actually in the same boat. Just happened today. Thought I was getting chain slap and then the bike started getting louder and started kind of jolting, etc. Drained my clutch oil and obviously by the vast amounts of metal third gear is roached. Drain your oil.

that sucks man and yeah ill def. do it prolly tommorow hope theres no metal but i can almost garantee there will b alot of it the way the bike sounds :smashpc: