Sign in to follow this  

Maxxis Maxxcross IT

rear tire inflated at 8lbs.. the thing is slippery as ice.

hard pack is good and that's about the only area it's decent in... sand, gravel, rocks, dirt.. the tire flat out sucks. i will never run one again my next tire will be a kenda.

funny cuz three pros i wrench for all prefer the IT rear between 12 ans 14 psi. along with the SI front at 13 psi here in az we have every dirt type imaginable, sand, mud, hard pack, gravel, clay, rock,etc..... and these 3 guys i wrench for swear by this tire.

The key in your statement was " 8 pounds". I've never found a tire that works at 8 pounds of air.

Most people buy them for offroad riding due to their LONGEVITY ... not the performance (which is average).

Their knob spacing and hard compound will last almost twice as long as most other brands, but don't expect groundbreaking traction on all conditions (by design .. close treads and hard compound are designed for certain conditions). :smashpc:

I personally pay the extra for the added traction at the expense of wearing tires out faster (no longer use IT's), but for those on a budget, or not wanting to change their rear tires often, the IT's are a good compromise (but don't have super high expectations)

Try a little more pressure and it may be a little better for you. The IT lasts a long time, but I agree it is only good on really hard ground. Other than that it just doesn't perform that well. The MAxxis SI seems to be a much better all around tire and it holds up just as well.

what they said.. 8psi ain't gonna work in anything but sand, even though im a "Michelin man"

(and bet this thread gets moved to general :smashpc: )

The key in your statement was " 8 pounds". I've never found a tire that works at 8 pounds of air.

I agree. At 8 psi the tread profile will be way too flat and the tire will squirm side to side on the rim a lot. I'd be running closer to 12 psi. Even here in the deep Florida sugar sand I never go lower than 11-12 psi.

Just like the others said, try a higher pressure. I've used the IT and the SI, and I prefer the SI almost everywhere (only used on my CR250).

In one of my previous threads about tires people said that these tires DO NOT perform well pumped up over 10psi so 8 is what I started off with... Today I will pump both tires up to 12-13 lbs and see if that changes anything.. I am running an SI up front and I like it.. hopefully the air is my issue here!

I will say this, any tire at 8psi is garbage if I hit rocks going moderately fast my bike sure takes a beating from it

In one of my previous threads about tires people said that these tires DO NOT perform well pumped up over 10psi so 8 is what I started off with... Today I will pump both tires up to 12-13 lbs and see if that changes anything.. I am running an SI up front and I like it.. hopefully the air is my issue here!

I will say this, any tire at 8psi is garbage if I hit rocks going moderately fast my bike sure takes a beating from it

you mean this thread? https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=965434&highlight=maxxis

its funny, because when i brought up the fact that we tried this tire at 12.5psi i was knocked for having too much pressure in it and not by a newbie either. 13 14 and 15 were all considered too high as well with 12 being considered the "max"....

i think for the type of riding we do, the tire sucks.

day to day on TT you will get different info for the same question.

rear tire inflated at 8lbs.. the thing is slippery as ice.

hard pack is good and that's about the only area it's decent in... sand, gravel, rocks, dirt.. the tire flat out sucks. i will never run one again my next tire will be a kenda.

Is the tire an IT or a "desert" IT ? the desert IT has a stiffer sidewall than the reg It. You can run the low pressure in the desert IT and it works really well.

I always thought the IT sucked.

Michelin S12xc or Kenda Millville for me. I run the rear @ 9psi with a TUbliss.

Yeah it definitely is not the best. It doesn't do anything great, except wear like it's made of iron. I am going to try out a Bridgestone 403/404 combo next, and see what happens.

Ive been running IT's for about 6-7 years now. Seems like here in CA the pressure they seem to like is 10-12psi. At least for me. I check my rim clean too. I can see 8 not being enough. People forget that the tires play a big part in the suspension. Depending on how the suspension is setup one tire may work great and the other may not etc.

I ended up with the same reaction to an IRC MB5. That thing had the biggest knobs Id ever seen on a tire and I couldnt make the thing work at all. Ended up throwing it away and going back the Maxxis' that Id been running. I know some guys that hate the Kendas. Ive never run one, not a new one anyway so I really cant say. Im surprised by your feeling from the Maxxis though. For me they work about 90% as good as a 756 but wear 5 times longer.

Would rider weight play a difference in the tire? I'm 250

Who knows maybe I'll try kenda and bridgestone and like the maxxis best

im about 255-260 with gear on and i love the IT rear, the front is atrocious. another rear tire ive fallen in love with is the DURO intermediate rear.