Sign in to follow this  

Noob help - fixed cracked stator cover now won't start..

Wish I had found this site before I bought the bike, might have saved my stator cover :bang head: Hoping someone can help me with some advice please.

2010 DRZ400SM, approx 3000km's, was running perfectly, and newish to me.

Long story short, I did not extend the kickstand all the way and the bike did an ever graceful tip into the flower bed. No damage to handlebars, tank, or indicators. But the gearshift punched a nice little hole into the stator cover. I noticed some leaking oil and did not try to start the bike. I pulled the cover off, had it welded, and tidied it up with some paint. Drained the oil.

I put the cover back, filled up the oil, and no luck with starting - cranked it for a good few minutes all up. Pulled the spark plug - no spark. Took the cover off, saw that I had placed the pulser clamp the wrong way around, so it made contact with the flywheel and shaved a minuscule amount off the magneto pulser lead clamp whilst I was trying to start it. Put all back the way it should be, cleaned up the shavings - and still no luck with starting.

I did not try to start the bike immediately after the fall - is it possible that something else might be buggered from a stupid little fall-over, or did I bugger things more?

Kick-stand cut-out switch, clutch starter switch all seems to be working just the way it should. Kill switch is off. I'm new to all of this and need my bike to get to work, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Gary

Long story short, I did not extend the kickstand all the way and the bike did an ever graceful tip into the flower bed. No damage to handlebars, tank, or indicators. But the gearshift punched a nice little hole into the stator cover. I noticed some leaking oil and did not try to start the bike. I pulled the cover off, had it welded, and tidied it up with some paint. Drained the oil.

I put the cover back, filled up the oil, and no luck with starting - cranked it for a good few minutes all up. Pulled the spark plug - no spark. Took the cover off, saw that I had placed the pulser clamp the wrong way around, so it made contact with the flywheel and shaved a minuscule amount off the magneto pulser lead clamp whilst I was trying to start it. Put all back the way it should be, cleaned up the shavings - and still no luck with starting.

I did not try to start the bike immediately after the fall - is it possible that something else might be buggered from a stupid little fall-over, or did I bugger things more?

Kick-stand cut-out switch, clutch starter switch all seems to be working just the way it should. Kill switch is off. I'm new to all of this and need my bike to get to work, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Gary

Check the wires to the pulsar; they are often damaged when the clamp is installed wrong or not at all. Same from when the wires are not routed under the clamp/ The pulsar can also be installed backwards… Worth checking as well…. Did you plug in the stator? Both plugs? Is the stop switch on right side switch cluster in the run position?

Thanks mate, I don't think I unplugged the stator but looks like I will have to go in there again and be really thorough. The stop switch is in the run position, I've put in a new spark-plug. I tried to measure for voltage between the red and black wires into the ignition coil when cranking the starter but it does not change (multimeter stays on 0).

Appreciate the help, thank you!

I opened the cover again, checked that everything was installed - no obvious mechanical damage to the stator and plugs all nice and tight. I'm going to have to try some electric diagnostics, I've been through a few threads on the board, I'll have to read them again to try and understand it all - electrics confuse me easily!

Has anyone ever spoken to Suzuki about this paper thin cover, my bike is still under factory warranty, and whilst I know that operator damage is not included, this just seems like such a design flaw considering the off-road heritage of the DRZ's? (Not sure if I'm more pissed off with myself or Suzuki, crikey the thing fell over into a flower bed :smashpc:)

Thanks again,

Gary

Edited by baas
spelling

get some case savers for it

They are definitely on the shopping list...

I opened the cover again, checked that everything was installed - no obvious mechanical damage to the stator and plugs all nice and tight. I'm going to have to try some electric diagnostics, I've been through a few threads on the board, I'll have to read them again to try and understand it all - electrics confuse me easily!

Has anyone ever spoken to Suzuki about this paper thin cover, my bike is still under factory warranty, and whilst I know that operator damage is not included, this just seems like such a design flaw considering the off-road heritage of the DRZ's? (Not sure if I'm more pissed off with myself or Suzuki, crikey the thing fell over into a flower bed :smashpc:)

Thanks again,

Gary

One persons flaw is another mans intended design intent. As a light weight cove which perfectly holds the stator in place, and seals the case from oil leaks the cover could not be better designed.

If your looking for a strong cover to protect against crashes and hard strikes to the cover, it sucks 👍

Suzuki design a light weight cover to hold the stator, works great, we want more durability, so we add a case cover.

Hey E.Marquez, I think you hit the problem in your first response....looks like I had the pulser installed incorrectly...putting it all back together and I'll post an update - thank you!

I've seen conflicting advice on the starter idler gear shims - the fiche shows a shim on either side of the gear, but an article on drzparts shows the two shims on the motor side of the gear - http://www.drzparts.com/2010/05/dr-z400-stator-and-starter-clutch-loctite-fix/

Before I make another n00b error could anyone suggest which is better please?

regards,

Gary

I've seen conflicting advice on the starter idler gear shims - the fiche shows a shim on either side of the gear, but an article on drzparts shows the two shims on the motor side of the gear - http://www.drzparts.com/2010/05/dr-z400-stator-and-starter-clutch-loctite-fix/

Before I make another n00b error could anyone suggest which is better please?

regards,

Gary

Your welcome, hope it works for you.. it would not be a common answer, if you did not have lots of company in making that mistake. :smashpc:

Stator and Starter clutch LocTite fix

Erik Marquez

Published by E.Marquez

04-20-2008

Check about 1/2 way down the page for a description and picture of how it should be.

Thanks Erik, your help was spot-on. I had the pulser installed upside-down - and I was just not seeing it properly. I knew it had to be something silly I had or had not done, the fall over was so slight. If you are ever in BNE I'll shout you a beer!

It has been a while since I've owned a bike, they've certainly gotten more complicated in the last 15 years, so I guess I'll be hanging around on TT a bit :-) Sincere thanks to all the good folks who helped and who continue to share their knowledge.

Regards,

Gary

Thanks Erik, your help was spot-on. I had the pulser installed upside-down - and I was just not seeing it properly. I knew it had to be something silly I had or had not done, the fall over was so slight. If you are ever in BNE I'll shout you a beer!

It has been a while since I've owned a bike, they've certainly gotten more complicated in the last 15 years, so I guess I'll be hanging around on TT a bit :-) Sincere thanks to all the good folks who helped and who continue to share their knowledge.

Regards,

Gary

Cheers mate.. I'll be greatful for a Bundy and coke...or 10,,, and a bottle to bring home... I miss Bundaberg :smashpc: