Sign in to follow this  

Source of chain damage

Hello everybody, this is my first post. I have had my bike(my first one) for just over a month. I bought it used. It is an 06 DRZ 400SM with what I can see is a 3x3 mod, and 16f/41r sprockets. Other than that it looks stock.

A couple weeks ago I noticed a strange sound while riding at 50km/h. I checked the chain and sure enough I had a busted link. Voila

chain.jpg

As you might see it looks like there is damage to a few links on the outside of the chain.

Now I have new sprockets on order(going back to a 15f sprocket) and a new chain but I am concerned about fixing a problem with out knowing why it happened in the first place. When I took of the front sprocket cover I noticed that the bolt guide had a lout of gouging from something (chain?) and metal shavings fell out when I took it off.

By going to a 15 front sprocket should I alleviate the space issue found with the 16 tooth sprocket?

Thanks, can't wait to get back on the bike and just :smashpc:

the chain can get damaged by incorrect tension ~ tight or loose . too tight does the chain and gearbox absolutely no good at all

no lube is another way , in the pic the chain is lubed ok

it does look as if the chain has been flapping around

it does look as if the chain has been flapping around

What part suggests this? The scrapes on the outside of the chain?

It is hard to tell exactly what you are talking about. I think mostly what you have is a warn out chain from normal use or maybe run excessively loose. Check the rear chain guide back by the rear sprocket. Check all the chain guides and sliders for wear. Buy top quality replacement parts. Chain and sprockets are not the place to go cheap.