Sign in to follow this  

First ride out report

First ride report🤣

2012 KTM 250 SX

Took the bike over to hardrock today track was a tad bit slick in spots and dry in other parts and some of the straight aways had long ruts up to the corners.

Did a break in on the bike did like 3 heat cycles. Ride for like 15 min each time. Zero to half throttle the first two times out then up to 3/4 on the 3rd trip out.

On the last hour I was there I let the bike rip🤣

Set the suspension to all stock settings.

Front comp 12 out rebound 12 out

Rear low speed comp 15 out High speed comp 2 full turns out.

Rear rebound 15 out.

I set the rider sag at 3.5 " and that left me with a static sag of 3/4 "

I weigh in at 202 lbs no gear so I need bigger springs.

But the bike felt really good in the ruts coming into the corners never once jumped out just tracked nice and straight.

This bike will corner inside outside you just pick the line and pull the throttle :smashpc:

Jumping the bike was sweet very light in the air and easy to control big diff from the honda 450r

Had a long set of whoops bike stayed very straight and upright as long as I was on the gas I let off a few times and it was hold on time 😛

Power is great no hard hits or any wild on/off power just nice and smooth

Its still all stock with std power valve spring installed.

I will test out the diff springs to see what I like.

The bike did bottom once I came up short on a jump but even with the hard hit I stayed on the gas and the bike still pulled straight.

The front and rear brakes are great had no problems stoping at any time.

Layout of the bike is nice very narrow and your knees just grab the bike in the middle of the tank very nice setup there.

I added the 5 mm bar riser kit cause the bars are to low for me.

Tires that came on the bike were Pirelli Scorpion MX Mid Soft 32 front and rear. Never have used them and so far they work great and hookup nice.

Time well tell on the tires.

The hydraulic clutch is great no cable to mess with 👍 and is butter smooth to pull. Its the first hydraulic clutch for me so its all new.

The tool less air filter box is a nice thing to have no more 8mm bolts to mess with:thumbsup:

All in all the bike was a great ride and so far easy to work on and setup.

This is my first ktm and only after the first two hours of riding I am hooked.

Anybody looking to upgrade to a new two stroke I would grab this bike up in a heartbeat.

Any question ill try to answer.

The only bad thing that happen today was my daughter took a dive on her crf150r she got a real deep thigh bruise🤣 and a hole in the air box about the size of a quarter :busted: Ill try to fix it with some epoxy on the inside of the box.

168vpyq.jpg

Bar risers 5mm

55msk9.jpg

Tons of stopping power up front

29zc6is.jpg

When I get new springs I will replace this with a two nut setup

The plastic material i do not think will hold up

x52lop.jpg

Edited by Ron731
Adding images

Nice write up, but what bike are you talking about ?

1982 Yamaha Exciter 185!:smashpc:

Ron what bike were you testing. My 250 sx will be in in a few weeks and cant wait.

Ron I am the guy on the rmz.... I would say it was slicker than snot.. Nice write up... bike looked very nice..

Wow so cool Yep I seen you out there yea it was slicker than snot 👍

You every make it over to Pax-Trax for riding or you just at hardrock.

Nice meeting you :smashpc:

Ron.

Great report Ron.

I figured you would be out breaking her in this weekend.

I was actually supposed to go to pax for the first time instead of hardrock, but with all the rain we decided it may be really muddy and went to ocala instead... and guess what it was muddy...

nice report. I've been waiting for 2 months for mine to come in but dealer says maybe December now so I gave up and picked up a very clean 07 YZ250 last friday night.

OK great. I am on an 06CRF450 and thinking about the same move. I have an 05RM250 that I mess around on but my race bike is the 450. How does the 250SX compare to the 450 in how hard you have to work and how precise you need to be? I feel as though I work harder on the 250 to go the same speed but also felt if I put more time on the 250 I would find ways to get the job done and become a more skilled rider. I am 45 years old (190 lbs) B/C rider so I have to be realistic in how much better I will get but one races to win or at least compete, not just to turn laps. Have read that the 250SX is a far better bike than my RM but won't be like magical or anything. Appreciate your perspective.

OK great. I am on an 06CRF450 and thinking about the same move. I have an 05RM250 that I mess around on but my race bike is the 450. How does the 250SX compare to the 450 in how hard you have to work and how precise you need to be? I feel as though I work harder on the 250 to go the same speed but also felt if I put more time on the 250 I would find ways to get the job done and become a more skilled rider. I am 45 years old (190 lbs) B/C rider so I have to be realistic in how much better I will get but one races to win or at least compete, not just to turn laps. Have read that the 250SX is a far better bike than my RM but won't be like magical or anything. Appreciate your perspective.

Well we used to race back about 10yrs ago and got out of it.

All I raced back then were two strokes.

We all got new bikes april this year me a 2011 450r my wife and daughter got 2009 crf 150r.

I rode the 450r for 4 months and just never like the bike It had tons of power and such just never like it. Maybe because it was my first four stroke?

I could of put about 600.00 in suspension in to the 450r but I just felt that the bike was just not for me.

To me the 450r just felt heavy in the corners and in the air.

I took the 250 out last sun same track same jumps and came back with a smile.

Did I work harder on the 250 did not feel like it. Was I going as fast as the 450r do not know. But I felt safer on the 250 on the jumps and in the whoops :smashpc:

And in the corners its in or out you just point and pull the gas 👍

Maybe some day Ill get a used 4 stroke and give it a try again but for now I am very happy with the 250sx

Will I be able to run with the 450s in a race who knows gave that up years ago.

If you can try one out please do the bike is light yrs of any two stroke I have every ridden.

Just hope it holds up as good as the honda's I have had in the past.

Ron.