first impression 2005 crf450r

I'm brand new to the 4 stroke world. I just sold my .30 over 2000 RM 250 and bought a 2005 crf 450r. My friends talked about this thing being a rocket. I'm honestly impressed with the torque but I feel like the RM was much faster. Before i rode the honda I put a 51 tooth rear sprocket and a 13 tooth front. I'm 6'4 250 am I crazy or did I buy a weak one?

You bought a used bike. Have you seen the maintenance schedule on the bike?

I would start with a fresh top end - piston, rings, valves

jet the carb if needed for elevation, then a Factory R&D fuel pump cover will help dial the bike in so there is no bog:

http://www.r1dean.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26&products_id=60

and you will need to dial in the suspension with the proper springs

I like it and I can see what you mean. The previous owner said it was a newer top end but there was no paperwork. Don't get me wrong its no slouch but i also don't know what i was expecting. I suppose I was expecting a rocketship but im not sure. it runs incredible, it starts second kick and the compression is all there. No noises or anything minus a little rattle.( probably the chain hitting the swingarm). I'm taking it to a dice run saturday so I hope it makes it haha!

doesnt matter what the previous owner said, tear it down and MAKE SURE FOR YOURSELF! should start first kick every single time so check the valves, you dont need to change the AP cover, just retard the timing a 1/8 turn. you'd be dumb to race it before going through the top end, disassembling the head, cleaning and inspecting valve train and combustion chamber, new valve seals etc......

My 05 was very powerful with lots of power everywhere. Tons of grunt, more like my old CR500s. It felt more powerful than my current 07 YZ450F but the Yamaha puts the power down better, is easier to manage in the tight stuff and revs much freer. My biggest complaint was the lack of flywheel effect which made it very stall prone and did not hook up as well as I would have liked. A FWW would probably have cured both those issues for me.

Make sure you install the air filter properly as its a bitch (as you have seen already). Run the stock Honda air filter as its better than the aftermarket filters. Stock wheels are soft so keep an eye on the spokes. Check the valves as its very easy to do. Once they move you will need a valve job. Don't bother shimming as its already too late. Stock chain is junk and mine rattled too, even with an after market DID chain installed. I had zero problems with mine in the 2 years I had it. Be careful with the transmission drain bolt as to not cross thread it. I did not like the turning on it as it always wanted to stand up in turns and the front did not stick. I could have gotten a revalve and 22mm clamps to fix those problems. I'm 6'3" and 180 lbs so that may have been an issue for the stock suspension.

overall, I wish I had kept it and put some money into it to make it better suited to the kind of riding I do.

I wouldn't call the CRF's "rocketships." To me that sounds like a bike that would have incredible arm-lengthening hit. But the CRF's grunt, never ending torque and ponies from the bottom-to-the-top of the RPM range give it stealthy power when compared to a 2-stroke. You can ride them "quietly" (short shift and keep the revs low) and still be faster than you were on your old two-stroke!

I can tell a big difference when I rebuilt my engine (with stock internals) when it had maybe 25 hrs on it and now it probably has 30 hrs on it and I can tell it's lost power. BUT it's not much. If you rode it after a 250F you couldn't tell..

ALSO a 2t will make you feel like you are flying, Noise, vibrations, high rpms etc and how much harder you have to ride it to go fast. The crf450r is soo smooth you don't really feel like you are going fast it's just braap braap and you are already at the next corner...

My youtube videos when I race the 450 1/2 the time you can't hear the bike cause it seems like it's idling. I run a B pace and if you watch/listen it doesn't feel like you "I" am going very fast..